Sign in to follow this  

Broken friction plate, but where are the pieces?

My son's 09 YZ250F clutch finally went and when I took it apart the friction plate closest to the basket was broken. I've got all the pieces out but still have about 1 inch missing and can't see it anywhere in the bottom of the case. Any idea where it could have went and what do I need to do? I've got the hub and basket out and can't see any pieces.

It's probably been digested by the tranny. Nothing a little Pepto wont fix.

I wouldn't worry about it.

It's probably been digested by the tranny. Nothing a little Pepto wont fix.

I wouldn't worry about it.

The correct answer is to split the cases and get the ground up pieces out.

You can do it now or try all of the fill the crankcase with diesel and dump it

out tricks, but I can assure you, the cases are goin to need to be split in the near future. It's not like its a 12,000 rpm race motor or anything

The correct answer is to split the cases and get the ground up pieces out.

You can do it now or try all of the fill the crankcase with diesel and dump it

out tricks, but I can assure you, the cases are goin to need to be split in the near future. It's not like its a 12,000 rpm race motor or anything

If you can find any pices.

If it was a steel plate it might be a problem but a piece of friction material from the clutch isn't going to cause any damage and in all likelyhood, has already passed when the oil was drained or oil filter removed.

My 09 did the exact same thing in August to me. I tried to turn it on its side and upside down to remove but was still short some. Had the cases split to remove the last pieces, they where about 1/4 large each. Sucked, cost $ but feel saver now.

The fiber plates have an aluminum backing. The pieces can circulate and cause anything from prematurely worn bearings to improper shifting due to a binding shift drum to any number of other lubrication failure related issues. Personally, I'd split the cases to clean and inspect all the internals.

The rest of the plate is in the bottom of the motor below the oil pump screen. You can nt remove it without splitting the cases. The piece will stay there it cannot get near the crank or the cylinder the way the motor is designed. But it will contaminate the oil and the oil will turn black very quickly from the fiber material I don't believe the alumnium is a issue, it is much softer than everything in the gear box. I ran a bike for quiet a few hours with a broken clutch pieces with the oil condition being the only negative results. If I had to do it again I would split the cases. I hope this helps you to make a decision.

I just had this happen this summer. I pulled the right cover off so you can get in under the screen. I checked the oil pump for damage too. You can get under that screen with a hook and get probably everything out. (also you can get a little access from the left flywheel cover and the drain bolt.) I did this and ran carb cleaner down the input side of the oil pump.

Its not going to damage the rest of the motor because after the screen it goes to the oil pump and right into the filter before it gets circulated. I'm not saying it couldn't get into the gears or something,, its just very unlikely. also I'm not saying that restricted oil flow couldn't hurt anything or contamination couldnt lock up the oil pump just again not likely.. mine ran this way for quite a while and didnt hurt anything and there was shit everywhere!

Im real confident on the work I did and that there will be no damage but I spent an extra hour peaking,, hooking and flushing.. probably a 3 hour job and not hard. Good luck!