Sign in to follow this  

KDX issues again

alright fellas got a quiz for you today! So I am out with my buddies today, and I am riding the old steed, and it starts off good, I run up and down the road to warm it up and check out my new wiseco basket and tusk clutch. It goes well and the bike is running good, so I stop and wait for the group to get all bunched up so we can start the ride. Anyway, so we go down the road and catch the trail and so I am going along just having a good time, and then I realize when I let off the throttle the engine was revving up, so I pull clutch in and pull off the trail and check things out and I cant seem to diagnose the problem as of yet. I noticed that the throttle was sticking only when you go to open it then the rest of the travel is fine. The cable is not pinched or anything as it hasnt changed since I got the bike long ago. The tube is also good has proper play and is not broken. I do know the carb top little brass thing is broken at the threads, because they all break there, ALL.

As of now;

reeds; good

carb; been cleaned and checked seems fine

throttle cable; works fine no sticking or anything

air filter; caked but considering my bike ran fine up and down the road with no problems, I dont see this as an issue, I will replace it though.

spark plug; fine not fouled and has good brown color.

I am thinking it could be a seizure, but its not really consistent with that. what to do???

sounds like an air leak to me, a lean rev. do a leak down and a pressure test. eliminate all possibilities. hows the carb cap gasket? check all sources of where it can suck in air. could be lean on the needle or the main jet as well. just my suggestions

thats where I get fuzzy. it started happening as I was riding. a leak could have spurred in the air boot, but consider the air filter is caked so it will run rich automatically. but it will be lean on air. IDK what to do at this point I think I will throw it together with a clean filter, and make sure I just assemble it so it cant leak air. that means getting it tight and checking for leaks as well.

I have come to the basic conclusion that it is the intake boot. out here we dry up rubber like crazy, all my rubber things on my KDX are cracking and rotting, the boot will not be the exception because we have already done one on our other bike. I dont have a bike to ride now!

I have come to the basic conclusion that it is the intake boot. out here we dry up rubber like crazy, all my rubber things on my KDX are cracking and rotting, the boot will not be the exception because we have already done one on our other bike. I dont have a bike to ride now!

I had this issue earlier this year. New intake manifold fixed...

So I checked out the stuff more today, intake boot, carburetor, throttle cable(which was sticking). and I found that the slide is sticking in the carburetor. *** is this? this also brings up the problem, if the slide is sticking down, why the hell is it revving up? nothing here makes sense on paper! its driving me insane because my dad seems to think that buffing the inside of the carb so it doesnt stick will fix the problem. I dont think so buddy. its not consistent with that problems. Well tomorrow I am putting it all back together and testing it. I doubt it will work but my old man gets so convinced on dumb shit like this its rediculous. I hope it works, but my hope is offset by the possibility of this being the problem. IDK, we will see. thought I would keep you bros updated

You ought to replace that "carb top little brass thing" because your throttle cable will get frayed, dropping bits of wire here and there, jamming up your slide. They don't all break, just the first one when an owner jams the throttle tube against the petcock. As I recall, it was not an expensive part.

There is a plastic bit that goes in the slide under the spring. It can be tricky to get that sitting down properly.

I put the retainer back in right. it sat in the little groove. idk what to do. trial and error now

If it is not the carb, slide sticking or what ever, then maybe it's time to pressure test the motor and see if you can find any air leaks causing it to go lean.

Ed

that will be the next thing. I am praying this is the fix though!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cant stress enough how flustered I am!