Sign in to follow this  

Guys, help me bring my baby back to life!!!

Hey everyone. I need some assistance here. I recently bought a 1986 KX250. Absolute beauty. But some things are wrong.

First off, The bike is a b**** to start. Especially with the cold. But it's overwhelming. The kicker slips, alot. Aparently this is caused by a bad ratchet spring in the old bikes, so I will try that. BUT recently, the bike refuses to start. the first day I got it, it was fine. Took a bit to start it up at first, but afterwards it was ok. Now, it takes me forever to start it, and another forever if I shut it off for a few minutes and go to start it up.

Before you say bad piston, the bike was just rebuilt with a weisico piston and rings by the previous owner. Any tips to get it to start quicker?

Second, the muffler broke off. Literally, broke off. I was riding one day and it just fell off. It is a Pro Circuit pipe, a slip on. Where the silencer meets with the pipe leading to the fatty just disconnected. I put it back on with some JB weld, But when I tried to start it up again, it fell off again. The inner chamber of the silencer where the pipe slips into it is bent, Like it slants to the left.

Is it OK for me to ride the bike without the silencer? Theres not much to the old silencer that was on it... Just a shell with an inner chamber and packing. f not, any tips to get it to stay back on?

Third, is the front seals. I'm sure they're bad. There is oil on the forks and slowly coming out of the bottom of the bike. Is it ok to ride with the bad seals? (I dont bring it to the track, just trails. Not crazy trails, just easy moderate ones at high speeds).

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated. Riding is my favorite thing to do in life, and i want her to run much better than she does now.

if the fork oil gets to low the bushings will dig into the chrome and turn it black, so you should probably get peace of mind on those if you catch my drift.

The silencer is supposed to bolt on to the subframe, so if you are not bolting it on it will keep falling off and eventually ruin both the silencer and pipe where they join.

your starting issues could be a result of a plug going bad, or the jetting in the bike being off as the weather changes, if it has. I would look into this. the other thing is to check your air screw.

pilot jet could be plugged. i run a 42 pilot in mine. when it gets cold i will put a bigger one on. if your subframe is aluminum like my old 87 was, chances are the mounting tab is broken off and the silencer doesnt have anything to bolt to. post some picks with your number plate removed so we can have a look at it. replace your fork seals and oil.