Rebound adjuster is frozen

So I am wrapping up a fork oil/seal change and I go to set my rebound clicker and the clicker screw is frozen (won't turn either way), I ended up breaking the D shaped pin on the center bolt trying to turn the rebound screw.

I bought a new center bolt and then fully dissassemble the fork to inspect everything. Everything looks good, the D shape in the rebound adjuster rod is not rounded off, etc. Right now I have the damper rod, D shape inner adjuster rod, and center bolt on my bench and I mock everything up, try to turn the rebound clicker screw and it is still frozen. The D shape adjuster rod is seated properly in the damper rod, the center bolt pin is seated in the adjuster rod, the lock nut is properly located but everything is still frozen up. It won't turn either way. I have also inserted a appropriate size flat blade screwdriver into the d shaped adjuster rod (in place of center bolt) to try to turn the adjuster rod but it won't budge.

I don't want to force anything at this point.

Why is everything locked up? What could the solution be?

Thanks in advance for your help.

The bike is a 2006 CRF250R.

Edited by jeffmort

I did set the adjuster to full soft before disassembly.

I think the problem is what shockdoc suggested - the rebound needle is likley stuck. I tried to remove the reb/mv stem but I could get it to break free. I do have the proper/special clamps from Race Tech that install on your bench vice that are desigend to hold the damper rod. I cranked the vice very tight but the rod kept spinning in the clamps - fearing that I was going to damage the rod, I stopped and thought I would ask you guys.

Two questions:

1) Are the threads on the reb/mv stem reverse threads or nomal threads?

2) Do I just crank down the vice as hard as I can and then wrench on the stem with everything I have or is there some type of trick or technique that I should use?

Thanks.

• 4 years later...
  • 5 years later...