Sign in to follow this  

1997 Beta techno 250 info!

Hey guys, the petcock for the fule can go 1 of 3 ways.

forward

to the right ( pointed towards right leg )

back.

Does anybody know which is which? I have tried all of them and dont feel like taking the fuel hose off the carb = pain.

Thanks guys!

Seriouslt guys. No one knows the petcock configuration on a Beta trials bike. Guess I gotta pull the carb! :bonk::smirk:

I don't have aBeta, but I'd imagine one is for off, on, and reserve. Easy enough to tell by pulling the fuel hose, but if you don't want to, I guess you could tip the bike until the fuel drains out of the vent lines. If it doesn't stop after a while you'll know it's either on or reserve.

I don't have aBeta, but I'd imagine one is for off, on, and reserve. Easy enough to tell by pulling the fuel hose, but if you don't want to, I guess you could tip the bike until the fuel drains out of the vent lines. If it doesn't stop after a while you'll know it's either on or reserve.

Yeah, the hose is pretty buried. Didn't want to mess w/ it cause the original owner had the bike tuned perfect. damn 2 strokes! :smirk:

I'm confused... if it can point forward and rearward, how is it possible to point to one side??

On the Gas Gas, if you stand on the left side where the petcock is and look at it, straight down is ON.. Turn it counter clockwise so the lever is on the right side of center and it is OFF... Swing it clockwise so the lever is closer to the front of the bike and it is RESERVE.. If yours is on the right side of the tank, then it might be reversed, but the clockwise counter clockwise would still apply if it is the same as Gas Gas.

Since most of these bikes share the same parts from third party factories, I would not be surprised if it was the same petcock ( wiseguys: no pun intended!!! :smirk: )

Good explanation as always 2-ply.:smirk:

On the GG - I spin my petcock so the lever is facing the brake side. It sticks out much less that way. I have convinced myself its a super trick upgrade....:bonk: (Im easily impressed)

Good explanation as always 2-ply.:bonk:

On the GG - I spin my petcock so the lever is facing the brake side. It sticks out much less that way. I have convinced myself its a super trick upgrade....:lol: (Im easily impressed)

Well, I'm impressed too... never would have thought of that... :lol:

Now, what about your throttle cable? does it still come out and up above the front brake? :smirk:

Or As I show at 1:13 minutes into this video?

http://vimeo.com/27105685

A couple high speed surprises from brush snagging my throttle cable taught me THAT trick.

Ignore the rest of the video. It's meant for people that have no clue and have not already formed their own opinion for lever setup.. :lol:

Ya know - I could do that, but I have to pace myself on the hot tips. :smirk:

Found a 1999 manual. Petcock on rs of bike and sits almost horizontal.

Back = off

side = on

front = reserve.

bike starts perfect on choke. after it's gonna die on choke turn off choke and engine starves. Pulling the carb tonight. My other Beta is giving me shit too. I got bad gas I'm pretty sure. :smirk:

OK guys, a couple questions for you!

1. I heard some gurgeling from the radiator last ride, so I got the bike in the basement w/ the carb off and had to take the cover off the frame. the coolant is very low. Any idea why? I didn't see any leaks. maybee low to begin with.

2. put new grips on. cleaned bars w/ brake clean. used hairspray and set both in place. the throttle side ok but the clutch side wont stick. took off grip and after a full 24 hours there is still spray inside. didn't evaporate??????????? In the basement, so not too cold, maybee 60 degrees

any ideas?

Thanks guys!