Sign in to follow this  

YZ125 or YZ250

I am 14 years old, 5'8" and 125 pounds. I've been riding a KX100 for about 2 years now and I'm starting to outgrow it so I've been thinking about a YZ125 or YZ250 but can't decide. I mostly ride motocross (in Florida) so obviously it's sand tracks. Keep in mind that I'm in my growth spurt so I wont only be 125 pounds forever. Honestly I'm leaning toward the 125 since it fits my size a lot better and will be an easier transition from the 100, but my brother keeps telling me that the 125s won't be much faster than my 100 and that I should get a 250. The lightness of the 125 just really appeals to me. BTW I am about upper 250 beginner class speed, just to let you guys know. Any opinions from you guys would be a great help.

Thanks,

Nick

My son is 14 5'9" we bought him a 05 yz125 he rode it for a couple of months. I bought an 06 Yz 250 once he rode it I couldn't get him off of it. He loves the 250 ands rides everything from the deserts to motocross . He's ridden and raced since he was 3. I'd say go for the 250 . He will be on it for a few years. In the sand I think the 250 will work better for you.

A 125 is a big step from a 100, mostly because it is full sized. I love that my bike is so light then when I get on my dad's YZ250 it feels like a tank. I only like riding the 250 when I want to show off and do some wheelies because at 135lbs it is fast with me on it. When I race we bring mine and his, even though he does not race, I like the 125 way more. If you want to be ultra competitive in the 250 class get a 250. But remember you cannot physically outgrow a 125. Many people say they teach clutch control and corner speed. Not just rolling through the corner then mashing the throttle and makin the jump. To each his own, it is your choice in the end.

I just recently made the transition from a kx85 to a 250 2 stroke, and while it's a big jump, I'm not having too much difficulty adjusting to the 250's power.

Truth be told, i would probably be a lot faster on a 125, but i ride for the fun of it and the 250 is a lot more fun for me.

So if you're trying to go faster, i would strongly recommend the 125. It also teachers you to choose the correct gears and push the bike a little harder from the lack of bottom end power, which will help your riding ability in the long run.

But if you're like me, and just ride for the thrill factor, than i would choose the 250 in a heart beat.

I also disagree with what your brother said. The 125 is a lot faster than your 100, almost 15 more hp (although i could be wrong?), so that should last you at least a couple of years.

Hope i helped:)

Thanks for the replies guys. Jim, I'm sure your son is very fast since he has been riding since he was 3. But, I see where you are coming from. As long as I get at least a year out of my 125 it'd be worth it. That's all I'm worried about is that it won't have enough power for the long run. But the 250 is too much. If only the KTM 150 was readily available and decently cheap, lol.