Sign in to follow this  

Real bad depression, possibly from a recent surgery

Hi there to everyone, I hope everyone had a good holiday season. On Dec 1st, I had to have an inguinal hernia repaired. The next day I was in an extreme amount of pain, more than I remember from my other inguinal hernia surgery the year before. I called the surgeon and they said to take ibuprofen with the pain meds. I did that and it didn't work. Had my girlfriend call 911 on the morning of the 4th. Off to the ER I went. To make a long story short, I ended up losing my left testicle due to loss of the blood supply to it. It has been 4 weeks today since I had my testicle removed. The last few days, I have been really depressed, no appetite, lack of interest in things that I usually love to do, also lack of quality sleep. Now the Dr's say that you can live a normal life with one testicle, but what they fail tell you are the mental issues that might come from it. I have read that when women get a hysterectomy (spelling?) that they can go into a real bad depresion. In fact my mom said she went through that back in 1980 when she had it done, but it also came two months after the operation and lasted several weeks. Is it possible for guys to go through the same scenario? I will be contacting my Dr tomorrow moring and let him know what is going on for sure. I just feel really bad. An emotional trainride that can derail anytime, on the verge of crying all the time for no reason what so ever other than my testicle being gone. Is it possibly low testosterone also. I guess these are things only a DR can tell with tests and all that. I thought I would just post it and see what happens.

Thanks for your time

Little Jeff

Surgery of any sort can affect you, I have seen anesthetic reactions cause immediate depression after surgery, and the chemical changes in your system can amplify that. Losing one of mt favorite body parts would likely have a psychological effect on me too.

I am sorry for you, but it definitely could have been worse for sure. Keep that in mind and try to keep as positive outlook as possible. I have seen counselors do wonders for people too. See one by any means if you are feeling suicidal at all. There may be a temporary chemical treatment that could help you too, antidepressants or testosterone, or whatever you may be lacking.

Hang in there man. I hope the upcoming warm weather will stir interests in riding, or whatever else makes you feel like living again.

DaveK, Thanks for your input. I do greatly appreciate it. I don't feel suicidal at all, but a counselor can work wonders. I have seen them in the past for other issues. Sometimes it helps to talk to your mother too. I did that earlier and she understands what I am going through. It just really sucks. I suffered from depression back in the early 2000's and took meds, but I don't remember being this bad. Thanks again

Little Jeff

I would definitely explore the low test angle. That seems logical to me. I hope you find relief. It is real hard for alot of people to understand what people in a severely depressed state go through. I hope you find relief soon and have a powerful support group around you. Hang in there!

I had the same thing happen to me after i had surgery on my leg.I would literally walk down the hall and start crying for no apparent reason.It really sucked.Just know that it will get better.Good luck!

Whenever I was hurt I would feel really depressed like you feel, but when you looks around and see other that are missing limbs and in wheel chairs I always thought that I wasn't in as bad of shape as I had thought.

We all get to feeling bad after any type of injury, but like many have said, look at the positive and it will help you.

I had a good friend have to have his testicle removed years ago and when he came back from the surgery he was an animal! He went from finishing mid pack to beating all of us! Not sure what happened, but after his surgery he was a totally different rider!

I think all of us handle things differently metally and the mental side as important as anything.

I feel personally if you can push forward mentally you will come back as strong as ever!

Wish you all the best and let is know how you are doing!

Talk to to yOu soon,

Jason

Have your testosterone tested. If you have borderline low testosterone get a shot. Ask your doctor to prescribe arimidex(prevents testosterone from flashing to estrogen)and HCG(prevents testicle shrinkage and infertility).Many doctors ignore this! Vitamin D is also key during winter months.

Like Papa said a test testosterone is very easy and doctors already have an idea of what a base line is. Talk to a professional Counselor, possibly medicine in the intern of some sort, just to cut the edge off the depression, doesn't mean you'll be on it for life, just till you get your world centered again.

I always say "man I'd give my left nut for........" whatever it was at the time. Go out and treat yourself to something really cool and when people ask how you got it just say "I gave my left nut for that man!".

Sorry, just trying to make you laugh!!! When I was being life flighted out of the desert I was making jokes to the paramedics. They thought I was loopy, delusional, whatever, but sometimes you gotta just find ways to cheer yourself up. Be around friends, especially funny ones. This will also probably help with your healing process. Laughter and happiness is contagious, catch it!

Good luck!!

• Like 1

I always say "man I'd give my left nut for........" whatever it was at the time. Go out and treat yourself to something really cool and when people ask how you got it just say "I gave my left nut for that man!".

Sorry, just trying to make you laugh!!! When I was being life flighted out of the desert I was making jokes to the paramedics. They thought I was loopy, delusional, whatever, but sometimes you gotta just find ways to cheer yourself up. Be around friends, especially funny ones. This will also probably help with your healing process. Laughter and happiness is contagious, catch it!

Good luck!!

That's pretty funny, Thanks. I'm feeling a lot today better after my Dr phoned in a presc. for me yesterday. I'm still going to get checked out by him though, annual physical and such. Yeah, I'd like to come home with a brand new KTM or something and tell my other half that "I gave my left nut for that" I don't think that would blow over to good though. You're right though, I should go out and buy something really nice, a little spending therapy. Thanks again for all the replies

Little Jeff

Look at the bright side, you have half as many nads to smash on the tank in one of those awkward moments when control gets out of kilter and slams you down on it hard.

Really, glad to hear you are doing better. KTM therapy sounds very good to me.

One thing I am looking forward to is going riding in a few weeks. That always makes me smile.

Little Jeff

funny you said that, i didnt go through surgery, but i did go to the ER recently for dehydration. Went through a ton of tests, pain medication, antibiotics, and everything else that went through my veins. For the next couple of days I honestly felt like crying and just sad for no reason. Everything just made me sad and I couldnt help it. Now though i feel pretty good, and normal, its just going to take some time. Its going to be tough but you will get through it. Good luck

This last summer i was hospitilized 3 times, first for a miniscus tear in my right knee, i will have to have surgery on it soon, the second was for dehydration, i had blacked out and smacked my head on a table, and the third was for a knee injury the summer before, and these trips really put me into some bad depression, every couple weeks it would last for 2-3 days, and i had 0 motivation, i fealt like i didn't need to go outside to do anything at all, i couldnt talk to people like i ussually can, this was the worst i've ever fealt in my life, this lasted for about 4-5 months and it was hell. I have just recently gotten some help with a proffessional, I know exactly how you feel, and im really sorry man, i hate to see anyone go through this type of thing because i know what its like.

Weird that I stumbled on this thread. I'm feeling like some of you right now! I feel totally deflated, super sad, tired and very emotional. I have no motivation to interact with my girlfriends family, I don't want to leave the bedroom. All I do here is sleep.

Ha, wanna talk about depression? Buy your 30 acres of dream land, build house, build 1.1 mile long motocross track with awesome soil.

Then get lateral epicondylitis (tennis elbow). Have that last for 4 years & counting, do all the rehab to a tee, seek advice anywhere you can find

it, throw money at it, have surgery on it. Have surgery not work, then get it in your other arm, while doing the rehab for your bad arm.

Meanwhile watch all your friends, including a local pro tear up your track.

Wake up each and every day and look at your track and your bike and know that if you ride, you will be set back 6 months from any progress you may have made.

I'd give my left AND right testicle if I could just ride and race motocross again.

Life sucks without motocross, NOTHING compares.

Enjoy it while it lasts.

Ha, wanna talk about depression? Buy your 30 acres of dream land, build house, build 1.1 mile long motocross track with awesome soil.

Then get lateral epicondylitis (tennis elbow). Have that last for 4 years & counting, do all the rehab to a tee, seek advice anywhere you can find

it, throw money at it, have surgery on it. Have surgery not work, then get it in your other arm, while doing the rehab for your bad arm.

Meanwhile watch all your friends, including a local pro tear up your track.

Wake up each and every day and look at your track and your bike and know that if you ride, you will be set back 6 months from any progress you may have made.

I'd give my left AND right testicle if I could just ride and race motocross again.

Life sucks without motocross, NOTHING compares.

Enjoy it while it lasts.

I take a pill for that!

Weird that I stumbled on this thread. I'm feeling like some of you right now! I feel totally deflated, super sad, tired and very emotional. I have no motivation to interact with my girlfriends family, I don't want to leave the bedroom. All I do here is sleep.

thats's pretty much it, at this - the "worst" time of the year,

get out doors and do a little ,

the daylight and exercise will do you good, - a little at a time,

Charlie

Being out in the sun will increase your vitamin d levels dramatically. If you don"t have possible low testosterone, a 1/4 mg of arimidex once a week will keep testosterone from flashing to estrogen, and make you less emotional.