Sign in to follow this  

Latest weld project - rack for gas

I don't like the look of big fat aftermarket "elephant" tanks, so I've never considered one. I like the look of the stock tank. I've been carrying around the gas can just bungeed on top of the rear fender for awhile. Carrying the can stretches my range-to-reserve from 75-80 miles to about 135.

Just bungeed on top of the fender, over the bumps and whoops, the can once fell off. So I've been thinking of building something like this for awhile to provide a more secure way to carry the gas can. I got some time off over the Christmas break, so now the rack is real, not just a vague idea floating around in my head. I'm not the best welder, just a hobbyist with a Lincoln wirefeed welder, but the pieces of metal are well stuck together, and the rack is functional. The material is 1/2" mild steel round tube in 16 ga., with 1-1/2" flat strap for the deck. The tool bag sits on a piece of 16 ga. sheet.

"In the white"

InTheWhite.jpg

After paint - color is dark metallic grey, matches bike's frame color. Gas can cage easily unbolts to provide a general purpose flat deck if desired. Nuts are welded to the bottom side so I don't need to fiddle with holding separate nuts when the cage goes on and off.

AfterPaint.jpg

After paint with can. To prevent the paint rubbing off, I'll use a piece of 1/4" backpack sleeping pad between the rack and the gas can. A flexible spout that attaches to the black nozzle rides in the tool bag which makes refilling the main tank easy.

PaintWithCan.jpg

I hope that someone can use the idea.

Dan M.

• Like 3

I've always wanted to make something I could strap three small children onto.

1st thing that comes to mind, a bumper :smirk:

1st thing that comes to mind, a bumper :smirk:

:bonk::lol:

does it hurt when it lands on you?

what would make this rack hurt anymore then any other rack on the market?

Thanks for the positive feedback guys. And thanks too for the lighthearted ribbing comments as well. :smirk:

MegaDeTH says, does it hurt when it lands on you?

Gee MegaDeTH, you must go down more than I do! :bonk:

Dan M.

I strapped a tank like that to my rear rack, came loose after a long group ride and lost the cap, made the can useless so I dumped the rest of fuel into the tank and left it empty, I put on a 28 liter safari tank now for lots of range, been out to the desert and some trail rides and it has been OK, a little different on the street with all that fuel sloshing around

TurboCity makes a rear rack with an add-on spare gas can (1 1/2 gallons) as done Wolfman Luggage

Either way...nice job!:smirk:

Nice!

I dont like the looks of the bigger aftermarket tanks too.

The smaller safari one is not that bad tough IMHO.

There is this product (i forgot it's name) like this but it is

connectable to the main fuel tank.

Like seperate reserves.

You could add that to your project. Petcock etc.. :smirk:

SO...do you smoke while you ride.....:smirk:

Nice build though, making custom parts take time, but it's so fun to make something that fits your needs.

I don't like the look of big fat aftermarket "elephant" tanks, so I've never considered one.

but you like the look of a big red can strapped to the back of your bike? :bonk: just giving you a hard time :smirk:. it's a nice looking rack!

but you like the look of a big red can strapped to the back of your bike? :smirk: just giving you a hard time :bonk:. it's a nice looking rack!

Yeah, but the little red can isn't there on every ride! Just when I take off for a day in the hills. :lol:

DayInTheHills.jpg

(Gotta love these guys ...)

Edited by DanM-AZ
Add pic

Nice!

I dont like the looks of the bigger aftermarket tanks too.

The smaller safari one is not that bad tough IMHO.

There is this product (i forgot it's name) like this but it is

connectable to the main fuel tank.

Like seperate reserves.

You could add that to your project. Petcock etc.. :smirk:

Acerbis makes a 1.6g rear aux tank that plumbs into the main tank:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Acerbis-Rear-Auxiliary-Fuel-Tank-1-6-Gal-White-/330424930691#vi-content

You could adapt the OP's solution to do the same thing, probably just need a bung for the tank, a length of hose, and a T-junction.

Nice bit of welding, btw.