Sign in to follow this  

Dealer Conversation....

Called a dealer about availability and asking price for their 2011 Husky TE449

he said... yeah hang on...Yup we have one, $6750.00 plus freight and set up, then taxes etc. About 500ish for F/S then taxes etc, normal State stuff.

Me: okay, thank you

Them: can you come in and we can set up a deal?

Me: question, I am on the Husky USA web site and they say their TE449, 2011 bikes on their "Ride More program" are $6599.

Them: Husky doesnt set our prices we set our own that we want.

Me: so the Husky USA price isnt accurate?

Them: you going to buy right now? Maybe if you come in we can go upstairs and talk to my sales manager.

Me:thank you Sir, great speaking to you and Happy New Years....

Im in sales, I do sales, I work PR, and messaging and customer outreach.

very

interesting

Sales Technique. :bonk:

No, after that call, I did NOT go down to the dealership.

HR

You tried. A for effort. I can say, without going (back) to HRH site that it says "as low as" with the deals. So keep trying...:bonk:

True, MSRP does mean Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price. However I wouldn't pay over MSRP and certainly not from a high pressure dealer.

True, MSRP does mean Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price. However I wouldn't pay over MSRP and certainly not from a high pressure dealer.

MSRP is just under $9k, the $6399 is a "target transaction" incentive price per HSQ NA's bulletins and does not include the $225 freight that HSQ charges in addition to the "target transaction" price.

The OP isn't getting screwed by any means at $26 over target transaction and freight combined,................but it's all in perception and I really wish HSQ would do a better job of disclosing that lil Freight charge so perhaps the average joe might get a better understanding of what to expect pricing wise. If the salesman had said we have a better price at $5,999 would have you run down there only to find out there is a $500 freight, $600 Doc, $250 Handling fee and now that $5,999 bike is way more then $6,399! Always get drive out pricing and verify if that includes all applicable taxes because drive out is what you're after,..................not a lower priced bike with a lot more fees vs a higher priced bike and no fees.

Went through similar pricing frustration with my 310. I was set on a TXC 250 and they had several left overs (08, 10) but the best they could do on the '10 was less then $1000 off. Yet Hall's Cycle easily knocks off about $2000 around Christmas. Went with the 11 310 instead.

That helps explain why some dealers still have left over 08s and some will have all their higher priced '11s gone by spring.

What's really frustrating is that those strong arm tactics you experienced must really work or it wouldn't be a universal tactic......I thought though that the salesman was supposed to throw out an attractive "bait" right before he tried to reel you in, not just club you over the head. Regardless, I agree with your "forget you guys" resolve. Even if I am interested, I find out if there is commision involved, look around some more, and find a different salesman to reward.

BTW--Halls-cycle.com has one for $6599 plus $500 F/S, etc. THEY sell bikes BUT it's too far to drive and it would be a wash for the money you save. Perhaps Jay Hall would help you out by giving you the name of a Husky dealer closer to you that has a similar sales philosophy.

Having worked on the dealer side for many years, I know how tricky this kind of situation can be. I have seen factory advertising that a customer brought in to me, that I was completely unaware of.

One of the problems with end of year type pricing, is that it is not always the same situation for every dealer/bike. Often a dealer purchased the bike for one price (higher), then the importer offers late season specials. Depending on the deal, it may or may not apply to the bike that the dealer has already sitting on his floor.

For example, Husky has often had price protection deals where they give the dealer a credit on his flooring when he sells the bike. This means it basically applies to the NEXT bike the dealer orders, not the actual one he is selling. If a dealer buys his bikes with cash he is SOL. There is no way for him to participate in the lower price promotion. There are a number of other scenarios that can leave a dealer out of luck when the importer runs a promotion. So don't be too hard on the dealer. Many are not the best of sales people, but there are often situations that are just out of their hands.

If you want to hear more, just ask any Husky dealer that pays cash for his bikes, I am sure you will get an ear full. But it isn't just Husky. KTM has done some pretty funky things, like selling non current and dealer repo bikes via auction. Mega stores end up buying these bikes at huge discounts. Other dealers that have inventory on the floor can not compete with the kind of deals the mega store then offers.

motorcycle dealers are very much the same as car dealers

you guys would hate living in someplace like korea, EVERYTHING aside from groceries is wheelin and dealin

2 weeks ago I bought a 2011 new (0 Miles) TE511 for $5499.00 Cash USD and the OTD was a big mac under $6k

2 weeks ago I bought a 2011 new (0 Miles) TE511 for $5499.00 Cash USD and the OTD was a big mac under $6k

Considering dealer cost is around $7800 and HSQ NA hasn't offered ANY sales support on the TE511, you just got a $2k paycheck from that dealer

CHILLY has it right above... i experienced the same thing when attempting to buy a WR locally last winter. dealer got nasty about it so i went with Hall's even though they are ~1200mi away. i still work with them for parts and knowledge. awesome Husky shop.

Im in sales...high pressure high stakes sales.

I have NO ISSUES with dealers making money, I want them to, just like me in my line of work. And purchasing anything is a compromise, they want as much money out of your wallet and you want to keep as much money IN your wallet and somewhere in between those two, you both come out with a deal.

Correct?....well thats where I come from at least, guess I am getting too old?

:smirk:

this conversation though quickly turned into a rather testy one with the guy on the phone, his responses were short, abupt and as my daughter would say, SNOTTY. I guess I crossed the line by asking about the Husky USA Promotion they have on every single page of their web site.

In terms of floor hit, vs cash inventory, this dealer JUST became a Husky dealer, and the promotions were going before he signed/confirmed and started receiving inventory.

No big deal, could have turned out different, but getting snotty with me when I asked a basic question wasnt the method that has in the past, urged me to buy.

HR

Have to put in a big plug for Gateway Husqvarna in Saint Louis:

I wanted a 2011 TC449. They did not have one on the floor. They ordered one for me from Husqvarna NA, got it to me in a week.

I paid exactly the promotion price for it, no freight, no setup, no doc fees... out the door for $5,600.

the bike biz doesn't work the same way a car dealer does. i am talking about how inventory is paid for, with auto dealers, stuff is moved and traded so the dealer can make the sale. not so w a M/C dealership... at least thta is how it was explained to me, and what i have experienced.

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/mcd/2743321548.html

Still, I don't expect a dealer to negotiate over the phone regardless of any factory stuff.

I agree. Way too many chain-yankers and no way to close a sale.

A good tidbit my Dad taught me, applies for ANY sales transaction, eliminates any BS or misunderstanding.....

"What amount do I write the check for??" :smirk:

No if's, and's or but's.

I am very upfront on pricing. I don't get testy when customers give me prices from another dealer but I'm usually pretty firm but its the actual price..not some price to get them to drive to see me and then spring freight, setup, ext.. on them. Also I get phone calls every day and its not the same as a guy standing there with the possibilty of going home with the bike. That always provides more incentive.

you guys would hate living in someplace like korea, EVERYTHING aside from groceries is wheelin and dealin

True! That got pretty annoying fast.

The Husky dealer in Grantville Pa is holding to Husqvarna's web prices. I want to pull the trigger on TXC so bad...

I am very upfront on pricing. I don't get testy when customers give me prices from another dealer but I'm usually pretty firm but its the actual price..not some price to get them to drive to see me and then spring freight, setup, ext.. on them. Also I get phone calls every day and its not the same as a guy standing there with the possibilty of going home with the bike. That always provides more incentive.

:smirk:

Email or phone are not the best way to make a sales deal as a consumer, might be "easier" to phone all over doing your shopping, but the relationship you can form by actually interacting with your dealer of choice in person is going to reign superior over the guy in another state who picks up a phone to haggle everytime. I do plenty of over the phone sales, but it's alot of dead ends and guys making offers that once you accept they don't even follow through on, so it's a tough line to walk.

I'm looking at a Craigslist ad on my I Phone, for a Northeast Husky dealer. $4999.00 for in stock '11 TE and TC449's.....:smirk:

$5599 from Hall's Cycles in Illinois, TC OR TXC 449 2011

They could probably ship for less than $1000.