Sign in to follow this  

Honda XLR 250 Baja

Hi everybody!!! Guys I just bought a used Honda XLR 250 Baja (1996 model), I need to buy some replacement parts but have no idea where to find them. I have been looking on some websites and found that the Honda 1996 XR 250L (American Model) have some like parts that fits on my bike.

So here is my question....

Can anybody help me get the User and Service Manual of my bike with the part numbers so I can check and compare the parts?

Anybody with the same model of mine who know a website to get aftermarket replacement parts?

Any orientation or guide in this matter would be greatly appreciated!!!!!:smirk::bonk::banana:

Hi, can I see your bike picture?? I Live in CR and I own one XLR 250R (MD22) single headlight type, so I might be helpful here.

In my latest posting there is a link to some manuals and in there is a parts list for the japanese domestic market honda baja 250. beware the file sizes are huge. there is a scanned parts book in deja vu format for the "md30" framed bikes. unzipped it is around 11 meg, too big to email and i dont know how to file share 190 pages japanese writing but pictures and part numbers are easy to see.

let me know what you want to do

cheers

stu

sorry but forgot to say our local honda dealer is on what honda term "the global EPC" (electronic parts catalogue) using the frame/vin number they can even tell you what the color code is for that particular bike or any lateish honda. post 1985 i think..try them

cheers

stu

Hi, can I see your bike picture?? I Live in CR and I own one XLR 250R (MD22) single headlight type, so I might be helpful here.

Thanks a lot for a that quick response Johan!!!, here are some specs of my bike:

Model: XLR 250R

Engine S/N: MD17E-1502582

Frame S/N: MD22-1402583

Color: Shasta White

Year:1996

Here is a couple of pics:

IMG_0160.jpg

IMG_0038.jpg

I will add better pictures soon... hope this helps

• Like 1

sorry but forgot to say our local honda dealer is on what honda term "the global EPC" (electronic parts catalogue) using the frame/vin number they can even tell you what the color code is for that particular bike or any lateish honda. post 1985 i think..try them

cheers

stu

I know about the VIN too my friend, but my bike does not have it...Crazy right?? that's one of the obstacles that i'm trying to sort jejejejejej....thanks for your reply!!!

Ok so our bikes are a mix of the 90-95 XR 250R and 250L::smirk:

*Clutch same as XR250r/250L

*camshaft: 90-95 250L but its interchangeable

*Piston: variates, if it is concave (high compression) its 250r if it is flat 250L but are interchangeable

*Rod: HOT RODS lists the 250r and 250l 1990-2004 as the same (I have used it)

*cylinder 250r 250l

*valves/rocker arms/cover: r and L

*auto decompressor: 250L

*gaskets L and R

*Oil cooler: that feature is from the 250R

*kickstart L and R

*rear shock: Variates mine has 250L

*rear weel: variates, mine has 250l (sprocket hub type)

*front forks: 250l but the steering stem uses conical bearings as does the 250R, 250l uses ball type bearing

*gear box: 250l , you'd like the long intervals between gears, but its interchangeable to the R if you do enduro

*electricity: no Idea, since yours come with two lights?? mine has no battery (a feature from the R) but the wiring is almost same as 250L, no kick stand- warning-light yours migh be similar

* front wheel/brakes/speedo drive: R and L. Also if you get the Honda Tornado there where you live the front end is same as the japaneese XR (though made in brazil)

* Exhaust. L

*air box: L

*Carburetor: variates, mine is L type

* Plastics/tanks/frame: 250L

Did I miss anything?? Let me know what didnt I cover:thumbsup:

• Like 1

Ok so our bikes are a mix of the 90-95 XR 250R and 250L::smirk:

*Clutch same as XR250r/250L

*camshaft: 90-95 250L but its interchangeable

*Piston: variates, if it is concave (high compression) its 250r if it is flat 250L but are interchangeable

*Rod: HOT RODS lists the 250r and 250l 1990-2004 as the same (I have used it)

*cylinder 250r 250l

*valves/rocker arms/cover: r and L

*auto decompressor: 250L

*gaskets L and R

*Oil cooler: that feature is from the 250R

*kickstart L and R

*rear shock: Variates mine has 250L

*rear weel: variates, mine has 250l (sprocket hub type)

*front forks: 250l but the steering stem uses conical bearings as does the 250R, 250l uses ball type bearing

*gear box: 250l , you'd like the long intervals between gears, but its interchangeable to the R if you do enduro

*electricity: no Idea, since yours come with two lights?? mine has no battery (a feature from the R) but the wiring is almost same as 250L, no kick stand- warning-light yours migh be similar

* front wheel/brakes/speedo drive: R and L. Also if you get the Honda Tornado there where you live the front end is same as the japaneese XR (though made in brazil)

* Exhaust. L

*air box: L

*Carburetor: variates, mine is L type

* Plastics/tanks/frame: 250L

Did I miss anything?? Let me know what didnt I cover:thumbsup:

Nice forensic description Dude!!!!Absolutely helpful to me!!!! jejejeej

Right now I need to replace The Countershaft, Sprockets, Drive Chain, Oil seals and gaskets. Can you talk to me about a website or a place in USA where I can get good and appropriate parts??

The global epc will use the md22 frame number. i worked in a dealer and used the md30 number to search for bit for mine.

looking at your frame. the gaskets should be the same as the xr250 with the single oil line from the case upwards, sprockets will be easy from the various catalogues (use jtsprockets.com)chain off the shelf. only trap that we used to fall into was the jdm models had wierd sprockets with 428 chain not 520 as xr s had in new zealand. rear rheel hubs were different. the countershaft from memory was std xr but had a 428 pitch sprocket.

best advice for genuine engine parts.. local dealer and epc

cheers

stu

• Like 1

well for the sprokets I rather use VAZ so I just take the sprokets off and go to the local dealer and find something that fits, now mine has the sprocket hub thing just like XR 250L, if youre looking for somwthing fanci like renthal or Tag etc I am afraid there are no options save for steel type such as Vaz, JT etc. I do know the 2002 KLR 250 rear sprocket is a direct match. When I bought mine 6 years ago the before owner had 428 set up but I replaced it with 520. currently 14/44

• Like 1

A lot of Baja's here in Cambodia. Most are just like 250l's with different headlights and often bigger tanks. The engine is the same as a 250l as far as I can tell.

• Like 1

The global epc will use the md22 frame number. i worked in a dealer and used the md30 number to search for bit for mine.

looking at your frame. the gaskets should be the same as the xr250 with the single oil line from the case upwards, sprockets will be easy from the various catalogues (use jtsprockets.com)chain off the shelf. only trap that we used to fall into was the jdm models had wierd sprockets with 428 chain not 520 as xr s had in new zealand. rear rheel hubs were different. the countershaft from memory was std xr but had a 428 pitch sprocket.

best advice for genuine engine parts.. local dealer and epc

cheers

stu

ok I will do it, do you know any dealer in miami that works with Global EPC that can sell parts via internet too??

• Like 1

Wish i could help you with dealers in miami but i am in new zealand, its half a world away from the usa\

cheers

stu

Wish i could help you with dealers in miami but i am in new zealand, its half a world away from the usa\

cheers

stu

Thanks a lot anyway!!!! i really appreciate all your replies

:smirk:

Hi guys Im in South Africa and also had aproblem getting sprockets in 428 for my XLR250R...I sourced a 520 front 14 and rear 44 (klr250) and 520 Oring chain....I did notice a difference in more bottom end torque and less top end..original set up was 428 -16 front and 50 rear...my 44..is way bigger than what the 50 rear was...

My bike also doesnt have a battery and lights are a problem...I reide alot at night and of course when using brakes and indicators it all dims alot....I was told to put a cap in...I bought one , 22000 mF and 63vdc...just not sure where to wire it in.