Sign in to follow this  

pitbike fender tailpipe and seat frame cracked...

Today i took my pitbike for another ride too get it broken in with the lifan engine,

And everything was going well than the chain pop off and cracked the chain cover on the side of the engine which i herd it happens alot. So when i tried too pick up on the back fender frame bar too get it off the ground so i can get the chain back on,

It was really loose and was lifting the muffler up with it.. So i looked under there's 2 crack on the bars and they cracked cleaned right off and pretty much the pipe and the fender and seat is ony holding it on..

And a guy i know said he can weld it for 50$ which is cheap but said he would need everything off the frame too do it..

Which right now i don't feel or even have time too do that and was wondering will jb weld hold it?

Theres pretty much no weight that goes on the back because i sit close too the gas tank and i also don't beat it with jumps or anything,

It still drives perfect like nothing happen but i don't want it too put any pressure on the tailpipe.

I really not sure how it happen because pretty much i baby it, All i can think what happen is the guy who i bought it off jumped it and made a crack which was int all the way threw because the engine was cracked also which why i had too buy a new engine for it probably jumped it way too high.

I know welding it would be the best and i will get him too do it when i have more time, But would like too temporary fixed it for now.

i see if i can get any pics of it.

Thanks.

Its winter time, so get it fixed right. I know it sucks not being able to ride, but if you just suck it up and do it right you can get it done quickly. If you put JB weld on there, then the guy is going to charge you more in prep fee's because the area you need to get welded is all gummed up with JB Weld. You shouldn't need to take that much stuff off do you? Pics would be alot more helpful to provide recommendations. But for now, mine is to fix it the right way.

I should've mention the first time that the guy said he needs mostly everything off because hes doing it at his school and cant be taking something big or heavy in there.

He said he wouldn't need everything off if he had everything at his home but he doesn't. The guy pretty much just wants the frame... Now if he would take everything off and do the weld than put it back together than that be a different story. And i do want it done the right way.

But probably would want alot more, Have too ask him when i see him again.

Pretty much he said matter what hes ony going too charge 50$ and i ask him about jb weld he said it wouldn't work but i can give it a try.

Its just i don't have any time at all too take everything off or even have room too do it right now.

Hardy have any time too ride it, Heck i don't even have the right tools for everything. Be different if it was warm out sense i usely work on it in front of my house.

But i see if i can get pics of it today i was but there was alot of snow and couldn't really get too were the bike was stored at, And mostly was riding my mini 50cc atv around :smirk:

Heres a pic with a frame pic i found in Google i have it circle yellow were its cracked off at.

crr121411a062.jpg

By gordesky1 at 2012-01-03

Pretty sure mine is like that with no bolts:( But will check forsure tomarlo, That would be perfect if it was just bolted on..

You need to not sweat it and try and find somewhere else. Almost any "true" motorcycle repair place (don't think Honda/Yamaha) think Bob's Harley repair will have a welder and will be able to weld the frame up for you in about 5 minutes for WAY less than $50. Heck the shop up the street from my house, the guy built back up a water pump nut for my son's KTM and ground it to fit perfectly and all I had to do was buy him lunch. I only wanted him to build it up with weld material. You need to crack the phone book and find a place like that. The messier the better and they will hook you up. JMHO

Oh yeah and also your chain is popping off because either your engine is mounted crooked or your rear wheel is not aligned straigt making one of your sprokets cocked and making your chain come off. That is assuming you have the correct tension on your chain.

oooo its a one piece frame..... you could weld it. BUT there is no telling what kind of metal it is, it could be chromolly or just plain mild steel. i would assume its mild steel being that pit bike frames and not built to very high standards, and its cheaper. if so you would be ok to weld. now if its chromolly, forget about it. welding will result in a very weak weld that will make the surrounding metal very brittle and you would crack it again for sure.

the best way to check would be to strip everything off the frame, like in the picture and hit the frame with something and listen to the sound. high piched "ting" noise - chromolly lower more dead sound - mild steel

Hmm its probably mild steel sense it cracked, I probably will have too call around but in this area they always want a arm and a leg too do anything like i asked someone too put a tire on a rim and they wanted like 30$.. So i did it myself.

What i was thinking of is drilling holes and bolting it togther pretty much i know that shouldint come apart again. But have too see when it gets a bit warmer.

For the chain poping off engine is mounted right, And the back tire is aligned even. but like you said about correct tension on the chain that could be the problem because the tensioners is pretty much beat up and bent and probably comes loose and than chain pops off so have too get new ones which is first on my buy list for this bike.

There is another guy my dad knows that has a welder but said he doeisnt have a 220 line for it so he cant use it right now.. Pretty much he wouldve did it for free sense hes working on my old 77 honda 75cc dirtbike and trying too get it up and running good which is doing it for free.

There is couple more peaple that might do it if not have too let the one wanted too do it for 50$ when i get time or just go my route and drill holes into it and bolt it togther and put thread lock on it.

Hmm its probably mild steel sense it cracked, I probably will have too call around but in this area they always want a arm and a leg too do anything like i asked someone too put a tire on a rim and they wanted like 30$.. So i did it myself.

What i was thinking of is drilling holes and bolting it togther pretty much i know that shouldint come apart again. But have too see when it gets a bit warmer.

For the chain poping off engine is mounted right, And the back tire is aligned even. but like you said about correct tension on the chain that could be the problem because the tensioners is pretty much beat up and bent and probably comes loose and than chain pops off so have too get new ones which is first on my buy list for this bike.

There is another guy my dad knows that has a welder but said he doeisnt have a 220 line for it so he cant use it right now.. Pretty much he wouldve did it for free sense hes working on my old 77 honda 75cc dirtbike and trying too get it up and running good which is doing it for free.

There is couple more peaple that might do it if not have too let the one wanted too do it for 50$ when i get time or just go my route and drill holes into it and bolt it togther and put thread lock on it.

Your going to do what you (in your mind) want to do to temp fix your bike. The only right thing to do is to get it welded. I won't even comment on your drilling holes in a frame idea :smirk:. I'll agree that $30 to mount a tire (pit bike) is crazy, but when it comes to welding... Don't just make some phone calls, clear the area load it in a truck and go source out a welder and get the thing fixed. If you call on a phone they don't know you from Adam and don't care. Show up show them explain that your funds are limited and this is what needs to be done. Ask them what they would charge and go from there. Its not rocket science but you will have to actually go out and talk to people other than on the phone. I am all commented out on this one. Good luck in what ever you choose to do.

I find out what too do in the next couple days but driving around in this area trying too find someone too weld it ya im not wasting my time doing that and gas money because every buddy around here usely wont even touch a pitbike too do anything too it or charges crazy amount of money,

And pretty much i work stupid hours pretty much work late at night and come home too get sleep in the morning and usely sleep in so the time i wake up every buddy is closed...

Just like my old 125 Suzuki 125 quadrunner when i first got that one tire needed too be put back on the rim and i took it too about 5 places and they said they wont touch something that old or don't have the right air compressor to pump it.. But found one guy that did it and had too put a tube in it instead, That guy doesn't do welding tho...

So pretty much when i have time too take everything off will have too let that guy that said he will do it for 50$ for me, after i ask one more guy i know but not even sure if he has a welder.. The bike is still drivable and the frame in the back probably was always like that sense the back felt springy always thought it was the shock but wasn't the shock and drove it like that for 2 months with no problems.

I know for now on that if im going too buy a bike im going too buy it new instead of buying stuff used and pretty much getting ripped off..

I figure something out tho and will post back what i will do.