12 year old -Beginner

My 12 year old son 5'1" 120lbs wants to start riding a bike. He currently rides the dunes on a quad (Blaster 200 2 stroke). We live in CA and I'd like to get him a bike to ride the tracks and hardpack desert (Ocotillo Wells). I'd like a few suggestions before throwing his leg over one. Some bikes I have been considering.

KX100 -

KX85

TTR125

CR..

Thanks for your advice in advance. Next question will be a bike for me so I can ride with him.

KX 100. Cheap to buy and maintain as he/you have a 2-stroke now. For you 200/250/300 2-stroke. My grandsons step brother's dad just picked up a LN 06 KX100 for $1,000.00! I rode the bike to "test" it and was impressed with the useable power delivery. Unless you want to keep up with valve adjustments etc. I do hear the CRF 150's are fun little bikes also and if he just want's to trail ride it should be a good fit.

• 3 weeks later...

KX100 is a good bike, but if your son is 5' 1" I really think you need to consider the KX85, CR85, YZ85, KTM 85 or RM85 (14" rear wheel/17" front wheel). In my opinion, you need to be about 5' 4" to ride the KX100, CRF150R Expert, CR85 Expert, RM85L (16" rear wheel/19" front wheel). I own an '07 yz85 that my 13 year old (5' 2") rides and my daughter (almost 5' 5") rides a KX100. All of these bikes are surprisingly powerful (25-29 HP). I dont know anything about the 2t blaster. Does it have a clutch or gears? If he has never ridden something where you have to use a clutch and frequently shift gears, you might want to start him on the air-cooled 4 strokes (9-11 hp). He would master those quickly, but they really arent well suited for track riding.

start smaller and let him learn to out ride the bike and build his confidence. My 3 kids went from the XR suite of 50-70-80-100 to racing the KX suite of 65-85-100... there are so many used bikes in great shape you can find something that you'll sell for the price you paid 1-2 years from now. Just take your time and do your homework. Start smaller and move up quickly. Turn the bikes over often.

KX100 is a good bike, but if your son is 5' 1" I really think you need to consider the KX85, CR85, YZ85, KTM 85 or RM85 (14" rear wheel/17" front wheel). In my opinion, you need to be about 5' 4" to ride the KX100, CRF150R Expert, CR85 Expert, RM85L (16" rear wheel/19" front wheel). I own an '07 yz85 that my 13 year old (5' 2") rides and my daughter (almost 5' 5") rides a KX100. All of these bikes are surprisingly powerful (25-29 HP). I dont know anything about the 2t blaster. Does it have a clutch or gears? If he has never ridden something where you have to use a clutch and frequently shift gears, you might want to start him on the air-cooled 4 strokes (9-11 hp). He would master those quickly, but they really arent well suited for track riding.

not to sound liek a jerk, btu you don't need to be 5'1 to ride a kx100 (they're the same size as a big bike aren't they?). I'm 5'2 and i ride a 250f and 125, both with a shaved seat about 1". true, it does take more skill balance wise then being able to flatfoot, but it isn't impossible, don't forget he will also grow pretty quickly.. unlike me ? hah. As for beginers, though, you're probably right starting on one he can touch much easier will be a lot better. It was frustrating for me to get on a full sized bike when i started on them with otua doubt, btu I'd never look back and love to ride the shit out of my 125 now :bonk: 250f.. meh, lazy days at the track hah

either way, your won will love whatever you get him, just be sure to give him taht helpign push if he gets frustrated at first, once he gets the hang hell love it!

The KX100 should give your son the biggest grin factor, and you peace of mind that your son has something to learn on that will hold his interest and have enough oomph to go. It should do well on the track and at Ocotillo. The dunes and sandy washes will strain the bike, but all else should be fine.

For whatever its worth, years ago at the age of 12 I started out on a Kawi 100. Dad had a Husky 400 and I could always beat him!! Man I was faster than dad!! Think maybe dad kept the Husky in 1st gear? J

As a bike for you? Well, we need a bit more info from you.

Do you ever get north to Johnson Valley or Razer?