Sign in to follow this  

what was your first cross country/ enduro/ motocross/ ect... race like?

And how do you really know when you are ready or fast enough to enter a c class race? I want to bad, it looks fun. I have only been riding for six months and own a modded kdx 200. I just want to race cross country.

I say... just sign up and go race one! The C-class is for beginners. Go for it... you will never be "ready" for your first race. Just go sign up and do it, don't go to your first race thinking about winning. Just make a goal of finishing, ride at your comfort level, try not to make silly mistakes and learn. You will quickly figure out where you are speed wise, and you will figure out where your weaknesses are.... just do it. It's the most fun you can have with your clothes on!!!

Do just like cb said: just go to the races, sign up, and ride. Most of the people that you meet will probably be pretty cool, and will usually help you out if you have newbie questions. That's exactly how I did it years ago when I started hs/enduros. If they have a beginner class you might try that....I jumped straight into 250C and never looked back.

I'm a newb all over again here also. I've been riding for more than 30 years and just bought my first thumper on Saturday, an 03 CRF450. I chose it because I'm about to try my hand at flat-tracking, and that's the bike that has become available to me.

I don't know the first thing about racing a 4-strk (or maintaining one for racing). This will all be new to me again!

my first was minnerete farm hs it was basically EVERYTHING that could be thrown at you.... i jumped into it basically, i was bored of the regualr play riding, talked to one of my moms friends who races and he conned me into doing one, so i just prepped my bike the best i could, signed up and threw the balls to the wall! entered 250^c class. and it was probably the most fun i've ever had.

Edited by yammablue22

mine was 4 months ago, mx, was nervous as hell on the line. after the first moto i had a big smile, finished 2nd to last but it was a blast, did 2 more before the year was out and cant wait til spring! sign up and have a blast:thumbsup:

first race. I raced the ironman at Shasta dam.mountain bike race sat .sunday cross country moto .omg after 27 miles on mountain bike on sat waking up to race my first off road race was crazy got a terrible start wrecked like six times ( Suzuki dr 350 yuck)and was fortunate I finished with only a concussion .i did win my class and the memories are priceless .my advice for your first race don't ride over your head keep calm don't follow riders if possible c class guys make mistakes all over the course so be alert for outa control riders...

Insane and brutal. Snow,rain and wind with a 35* high for the day and a muddy difficult track. Finished in the back of the pack but I finished. Wouldn't trade the memories for anything.

Go race and have fun. It will be scary and difficult and you'll likely get passed a lot. And you'll love it and be unable to wait for the next one.

My first race was an enduro when I was 30 years old, twenty years ago.

I shouldn't have signed up for C class because of my level of experiance. But I didn't know what to expect. They kicked me out of C class after that race just in case I didn't figure that out.

I sounds like you are a newish rider. If you enter the C class and finish the race, you will absolutely not come in dead last.

Go. Have fun. Stay having fun. Continue to have fun. If you can hear yourself breath, relax or slow down. Those two are not necessarily the same thing. Remember to have fun. Don't push. That's not fun.

Go to the race with a well prepared self and bike and have fun.

If you're not having fun. You're doing something wrong.

So go out and have fun?

Now. What's the moral of the story? :smirk:

Man, I was really to (pick emotion here) to remember my very first race, I was only 10 at the time and it was a motocross race. But my first CC was awesome! I entered Junior Over(200cc and up). My best friend entered at the same time, I came in 10th and he won. High speeds just werent my thing. The next weekend was a tight and muddy race, which was right up my alley, I entered I won and my best friend placed 10th.

Back then, racing was a lot funner, the races were harder, longer and I had very little obligation in life. I was never really sponsored or anything, I just rode because it was so friggin fun. Now(yes im only 30), I have responsibilites. I have a business to run so training can be a hassle and when I dont do well it bugs me because I havent made time to train. But with my girlfriend getting involed it is back to being as fun again, I get to watch her ride and race and without me having kids of my own yet, I can only imagine how fun it was for my father to watch us progress.

My only real true advice is: Dont take it too serious, have fun. Lots of people will tell you this because they are right. Having fun is the whole purpose of riding.

And your always fast enough to race!

my first race was the little brown jug enduro in SC.....brutal for my first enduro! ate crap so many times I lost count, did not get a break at any checkpoints because I was so far behind, houred out with like 5 miles to go........that was when I determined that woods racing was not for me, I have stuck to the track since then (raced a few HS's and GP's since) GP's are my favorite, I hate single track lol

to this day I still cannot figure out how some of you guys go so fast through single track and tight woods!

My first race as an adult, at age 29 and a 10+ year layoff from riding/racing as a kid, was an eye opener! I had bought the bike a few months earlier and done some trail riding and decided to enter a GNCC as my first race back. I entered the 250C class in the 2 hour morning race. After 2 laps in an hour and 15 minutes, I was shot and called it a day. I couldn't believe just how hard it was. I didn't remember getting that tired when I did a few harescrambles as a teenager! You will be shocked too, but go do it! After you do a few and get motivated to get in better shape for racing, results will come. Flash forward a few more years and I'm now a mid pack A racer in our local enduro series and think nothing of hammering hard a for a couple hours.

It just so happened that my first harescramble was in epic bad conditions, it rained and rained. It was so muddy that 4x4 trucks were getting stuck going INTO the parking lot downhill!!! I have never in my life been so exhausted as I was riding that day, it took me 1hr 15m to do one lap and I called it a day. The entire time I was out there I was thinking that I was so far over my head, and how this might be my first and last race. As soon as I finished I was like everyone else there, looking at the finish results and making plans to attend as many as possible. Just go for it, it will test your limits and is alot of fun. :smirk:

My first hare scramble was this past summer at 29. I'm an ok trail rider, but having never ridden anything close to 2 hours straight before I didn't even worry about the hole-shot and slowed way down through the entire race. My goal was to finish, not win. I dumped my bike a lot and wore myself out more trying to start it again (xr250) than anything else. But I took 2nd in the first year racer class. I did 3 more races, each time bumping up my speed a little more and always finishing around 2nd but moving up in the overall placing. I think for next year I'll do some running, because right now it's hard for me to keep a good pace for more than 30 minutes before I'm wore out. I lift weights regularly but cardiovascularly I'm not in shape.

I was 18 on a 1979? Yamaha IT 250. Got too excited in the dust on the bomb run at the start of a desert race and went through a pucker bush with a big rock growing behind it. Over the bars, bent the heck out of the left side handlebar (pointing 45degrees up), not hurt and finished the first lap for a finisher pin. All the check point folk sure got a kick out of me and those bent bars coming through.

I thought I was super fast when I entered my first race in the B class. I got burned and

booted down to the C class where I should have started. LOL.

My first race was at echovalley mx in Poole kentucky about 10 years ago. Was in the 125 beginner class , had a decent start , about 4-5 into the first turn , guy right infront of me started slidding out , then caught a rut and his bike stood up came to a stop , I t-boned him , flipped over his bike, got my leg ran over, got up and finished the race . Was hooked from then on out for about 5 years . Got hurt and had to take time off , sold the bike , dumped all the money into a truck I had at the time . Eventually picked up a yz250 that I had for a year but sold due to money issues. This time around I'll be doing harescrambles and grand prix. Pretty excited about it too!

I'm racing my first enduro on January 15 at Johnson Valley, CA! Super nervous about the race format and everything but just looking to have a good time. A lot can happen in 81 miles so I'm trying to keep endurance in mind and not wear myself out too fast. I'm entering in the C class and have no idea how I'll place but I guess it doesn't matter - all for fun!

My first HS I was 10, on a '79 ATC90 trike, bored/stroked to 180cc...out at Plaster City CA. There were nearly 2000 people on the start. Got lost, they sent out a search party...somehow I found my way back on reserve about dusk. I was too young to understand why everybody was making such a fuss.