Sign in to follow this  

450 wont shift into 2nd/also kickstarter rattles

went riding today, after about 3 laps i noticed a loud rattle coming from my kickstarter, if its in the right position it wont rattle but once it moves at all it rattles and sounds like its bumping on something really fast, high pitched noise. then later i noticed i couldnt shift into 2nd or higher, gear shifter was loose, tightened it up but still no luck...goes from first to nuetral no proble? any idea what these problems are? shift forks?

from what i have heard and read before i would say bent shift forks.

checked oil levels today, 3 rides on oil and tranny was black black black, engine side was normal. both has same amount i put it 700cc

Sounds like your clutch is slipping, and pretty bad. Youve probably got a warped clutch plate so it wont release all the way, and it also prevents the clutch from grabbing all the way too.

Heres what Id do:

Id put 700cc's of auto trans oil in the transmission to flush that black crap out with. I wouldn't ride it more than just putting around in first gear though (You'll just burn the ATF too) then drain it.... do that twice. At that point pull the clutch and look it over really good.

The black crap comes off the aluminum plates in the clutch. Its a pain in the ass to get all that crap out, but dont sweat that too much. It wont hurt anything.

I would go purchase a new clutch cover gasket then remove your clutch side cover and inspect the kickstart area/boss to see if there is any problem there. A backfire at the wrong time can cause some not-so-fun damage in that area. If that happened, it's possible some chunks may have migrated down to the shift mechanism and is causing your shifting problems. Unfortunately, if this has happened, a new right side case is in your near future. I know this is a bunch of 'ifs' but it only costs you a gasket and some time to find out.............hope this helps MED

Sounds like the kick start stop plate is broken off and probably the pieces are in the shift mech. This would account for both of your problems. You or someone qualified should remove the clutch cover and clutch to check this out.cheers

so my best bet is to prolly just take it into a shop? should i be expecting to spend more than 500 bucks you think?

so my best bet is to prolly just take it into a shop? should i be expecting to spend more than 500 bucks you think?

Nah, your best bet would be to pull the clutch cover and look first. Its not rocket science.

Worse came to worst, you could then take it to the shop.

But between me, MED and Wingman, I'm pretty confident that the solution is there. All you have to do is break out the wrenches and do it! :smirk: