Sign in to follow this  

Fork Seal Issue

Hey guys, i had both of my fork seals/dust guards replaced on my bike. I was told its normal for them to leave a little oil on the fork while they are breaking in. It has been a couple rides now and the oil is still coming out on both forks. The oil is left evenly around the forks which makes me think that they were installed wrong? Ive cleaned them both and that hasnt helped. Is there a way that i could fix this personally or should i have them sent in to be replaced yet again?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

It's possible that your front axle was installed incorrectly, thus causing the front forks to bind.

Refer to the bottom part of this link for proper installation: http://www.mb1suspension.com/id108.html

Other factors that could be causing the seals to still leak are that the inner seals are installed upside down or a nick in the fork leg that is cutting into the seal(s).

If you don't notice any improvement after making sure your forks are installed properly, pull down the lower seal (dust seal) and see if you can see whether the oil seal was installed correctly (for seals that have the spring on one side, the spring should be facing up towards the top of the forks. This holds true for SHOWA forks for sure, however, I cant guarantee the same is true for KYB forks, although I imagine that it probably would. There may be some aftermarket seals that have the spring on both sides of the oil seal.

It's possible that your front axle was installed incorrectly, thus causing the front forks to bind.

Refer to the bottom part of this link for proper installation: http://www.mb1suspension.com/id108.html

Other factors that could be causing the seals to still leak are that the inner seals are installed upside down or a nick in the fork leg that is cutting into the seal(s).

If you don't notice any improvement after making sure your forks are installed properly, pull down the lower seal (dust seal) and see if you can see whether the oil seal was installed correctly (for seals that have the spring on one side, the spring should be facing up towards the top of the forks. This holds true for SHOWA forks for sure, however, I cant guarantee the same is true for KYB forks, although I imagine that it probably would. There may be some aftermarket seals that have the spring on both sides of the oil seal.

+1 Thank you very much! I will look into all of that tomorrow!:bonk: