Sign in to follow this  

Honda honda 450r locked up

tryed to pull start it and it fired up and ran for a few then died, kept trying and it wont kick over, also before this happend my kick start was giving me trouble by not kicking back up. some one told me it could be sumthing to do with my kickstart and its jammed inside the case? or would it be locked up as in the piston stuck in the jug?

Could be a lot of things. Just to be sure, are you having trouble pull starting, as in is it tight to turn over or are you having trouble getting it to actually run, as in it will kick over but won't fire?

you cant kick the kickstart down at all, either its locked up as in sumthin is jammed and wont let it move, or the motor is siezed up.

Its either a rod bearing or crank bearing, stop trying to start it.

Put it in first gear on a stand (rear wheel in the air) and try to turn the rear wheel forward. Does the engine turn over?

If yes ------> Inspect the kick start mechanism

If no -------> You've got problems. Start tearing it apart.

Forgot to mention that you should pull the spark plug out while trying to turn it over, and make sure the clutch isn't slipping if you're trying the wheel instead of the kickstart.

you loosin the 4 allen head screws on the swingarm plus the pic nut on the right side of the rear brake to loosin it enough to move the axel forward right? just making sure because last time i helped a buddy he forgot a part and &%$#@!ed up his rear swingarm/axel. ive got everything else un-hooked and read for the motor to be pulled just need the chain loose. also will the motor pop right out or do i gotta take the top section of the jug off? thanks!

havent got back on it awhile, got it out and took the top off, there are metal shavings (small ones) in the top where the timing chain is, and on the the side after i took the case off, still trying to figure out how to get the top apart and get down into the jug

there notorious for crank failures, i replaced mine before it locked up with a +3 from hotrods.

take out the oilf filter and inspect it for brass shavings, if you got those u got ur answer too! Split dem cases!

sounds good, im gradually getting it apart, trying not to mess it up more then it already is so we'll see what happends lol

same thing happened to me last summer. took the filter out and there were shaving everywhere. the crank blew up. luckily it didn't hurt my head or cam. your probably gonna have to split the cases and get a new crank and bearings. while you got it apart make sure you check everything really good. might as well only split the cases once. haha good luck man.