Sign in to follow this  

Supercross Will Dungey win the 2012 SX championship ?

I'm not trying to be a jerk here, but how many in here honestly believe Dungey will be 2012 champ ?

Will this be ktm's breakthru season in US ?

I'm skeptical. To me it feels like they are desperate. They buy every top guy they can get, makes new bikes and models almost every year. They really needs some success in US pretty soon. But I guess as long as they have Red Bull and Austria Coverment on their side they can continue with what they are doing.

I think they have as good a shot as any other team out there. Dungey/Decoster back together , KTM's domination in Europe, should give them some pretty good confidence they can be successful in the U.S.

My guess is Dungey will get KTM their first Supercross main event win and be in contention for the championship along with Reed and Stewart and Villopoto.

To be honest I don't see him winning the championship. Maybe a race or two but with RV, CR in his way it's gonna be a tough road. I wish him and KTM well

he could win it but it won't be on speed alone....he'll need a little help....

I'm not trying to be a jerk here, but how many in here honestly believe Dungey will be 2012 champ ?

I'm skeptical. To me it feels like they are desperate. They buy every top guy they can get, makes new bikes and models almost every year. They really needs some success in US pretty soon. But I guess as long as they have Red Bull and Austria Coverment on their side they can continue with what they are doing.

??:bonk: We all know you're anti-KTM but come on HRC, to say "They're desperate"?? I don't think they'll be able to continue their quest just because they have Red Bull and whatever the Austria Coverment is but rather because they have a good business plan, a good product, and a HUGE following all around the world and especially here in the states.

Go to any orv park or enduro race and you will see a large group of orange motorcycles gathered. In the near future you will see the same group at MX race tracks everywhere. If Dungey is more aggressive this season he has a really good chance of making a run on the titles in SX/MX.

Like others have said, I think Dungey will be a contender on the KTM. Whether or not he wins the whole thing is anyones guess at this point. He'll be competitive, and can win some races, but so can alot of other riders! I think he will really shine when it comes time for the Outdoors though. Maniac

I think KTM's expectations of Dungey for this SX season it to podium/win events and get in the Top 3 overall. I don't think they will be disappointed to not get the championship. I think they'll have higher expectations for MX though.

In my opinion, he won't get the SX championship as he isn't aggressive enough. But as we saw last year, his consistency almost got him another championship. I don't think the KTM will hold him back, only himself. If he can up his aggressiveness a bit, I think he can be a real contender. Outdoors he is definitely in the running for the championship.

Would be awesome if he would make it and become Ktm's first SX champ. But i doubt that it will happen.

But we shall not to forget that he did very well at the MEC after just a few days of training on a completly new bike and team.

He's talented,tough,hungry,the bike is capable and he has DeCoster. He is most definitely in the hunt.

For anyone to win either a sx or mx championship, there is a lot of luck involved. Mechanicals, takeouts, or just those days when ya just don't feel sharp are things that hurt anyone of the top 5 riders chances on any given weekend. There are so many circumstances at play it's crazy to try and comprehend. Dungey has as good a chance as anyone out there currently. But, will no doubt need some help along the way to be champion. No different than anyone else. Buying talent is not a sign of despiration.... Every team is in the market to buy top talent, that's how they increase their odds of success. Football, baseball, basketball, etc,etc. KTM has built what seems to be a very competitive team for the new season. I wish them lots of success.

Edited by tucker78

Desperate???? This will be KTM's first legit try in the US.... so any other team that gets a top flight rider must be considered desperate too then? I don't get that wording... so maybe KTM should flounder with has beens or never were(s) eh HRC?

I am not a KTM lover by any stretch, but I also applaud them for stepping up in the U.S. finally... I think RD has a great shot at winning in 2012.

• Like 1

They haven't had the success in American MX/SX because they have never had top tier riders over here, unlike what they have had in Europe. This is their first legit shot, and while it may not happen this year, barring injuries they will contend for all titles and may even pull it off.

As said, I think Dungey may win a few in SX, but no championship. Outdoors though, he's amoungst the best.

Makes me cringe to say this, but Dungey's going against the odds with his lack of injuries... I'd like to see him stay as a guy who doesn't ride over his head.

Dungey has a very good shot at the title. He a good rider and DeCoster/KTM will definitely have him on a bike that's on par with the others.

Problem is, Dungey just doesn't have that killer instinct to do what it takes to win at all cost, Dungey is smooth and patient. But, this could be the year we see Dungey pick it up and start riding that ragged edge.

Edited by MXOldtimer

His consistency might be the trick that pulls a championship out this year. I got a feeling a couple maybe more of the top 5 will suffer season ending injury before this season is threw. All those guys are about the same speed IMO. That will lead to some really aggressive riding to get on top of the podium every week. That kind of riding usually leads to some pretty bad get offs for even the top guys. It's a VERY important year for a lot of riders as well. A lot of guys know there isn't much room left on the existing teams rosters, and some probably will not be around next year. Through that into the mix and you won't see the top guys getting a free pass coming through the field after a bad start. You will have to work for every position this year.

I'm thinkin a championship is out of the question for Dungey this year unless he gets some help. Actually it wouldn't come as a big suprise if he doesn't get a win either, after all he only had 1 win in SX last year. Will he be better on this all new barely out of the box KTM than he was on the tried and proven Suzuki?

I honestly think Dungey, Reed, Villopoto, and Stewart all have the same odds. Anything can happen. It wont be easy for anyone. Whoever has the most luck on their side

I'm thinking the bigger question is can he finish inside the top 5?

I'm guessing he will finish 4th or 5th in points. All the big guns are back in full swing this year. Dungey will never beat a healthy Ryan or Bubby or Chad for that matter.

He'll win if he has the most points after the Vegas race!

It would be cool to see KTM win a few races but I highly doubt he'll win the title. We all know he is smooth and consistent but that alone might not be enough unless he gets some help from the other rider's misfortunes. I think that it will be a great season and I'll eat my words if he pulls it off. Can't wait for A1.