Sign in to follow this  

2012 TTR50 Ran with no oil

We just bought a new '12 TTR50 for our youngest and one hr into his ride the bike started screaming. I pulled him over, checked the oil and there were barely trace amounts. I called the dealership, made sure they documented my issue (since we were camping and couldn't get the bike in), filled the oil and ran the bike the rest of the weekend. I am concerned, however, when I take the bike in (1) the dealership will send me out the door saying everything is fine, and (2) future issues with the bike will arise that are undetectable to me right now.

How should I handle this and what should my concerns be? What should I expect from the dealership?

my first concern would be that the lack of oil in the cylinder would cause the piston/rings to scratch up the head, witch would make it slowly loose compression. best way to know the damage is to have it seen.

It is definitely going back to the shop tomorrow. I just need to know what I need to be concerned about so I don't get the brush off and a year down the road find out the bike really did suffer damage.

It is definitely going back to the shop tomorrow. I just need to know what I need to be concerned about so I don't get the brush off and a year down the road find out the bike really did suffer damage.

Oil starvation will cause piston seize, crank and rod bearing damage. .. The sounds you heard were caused by metal on metal contact,, It did not happen without SOME damage and extra wear.

If the bike was delivered with redelivery done, it should have had oil..

Likely, the dealer will start it, if it starts, and does not make ominous sounds they will call it good and send you out the door.

The bike will run a hour more to ten years. No way to know without disassembly inspection and replacement of all worn parts. Or running it for an hour to ten years.

When they tell you it’s good to go, say wow that’s great to hear,, then you’ll have no problem selling it to the next buyer in perfect condition.. I’ll be happy to take another NEW bike like the one I paid you for, but this new one should come with the oil I paid for as well.

That is not realistic; they will not give you a new bike…. But that is the starting point for sure. Assuming you did not run it out of oil (not likely) It was not properly prepped at the dealer before delivery. So perhaps get in writing an extended warranty (limited) to issues related to oil starvation caused by dealer failure to properly prep the bike.

What dealer?

Worst case seniro you have to put a piston in it and hone the cylinder, a piston kit for one of those things is less than 50 dollars. I would not worry about it.

Worst case seniro you have to put a piston in it and hone the cylinder, a piston kit for one of those things is less than 50 dollars. I would not worry about it.

Crank and rod bearings..Cam and head. as well.. not just top end.

They are simple and tough beasts, it may be just fine.. But the sounds made are clear indication all was not right...at least for a while

That engine will have a very short lifespan. Every bearing in it should be replaced in addition to a full inspection of the top end components.

Personally, I would ask the dealership to buy it back.

We just bought a new '12 TTR50 for our youngest and one hr into his ride the bike started screaming. I pulled him over, checked the oil and there were barely trace amounts. I called the dealership, made sure they documented my issue (since we were camping and couldn't get the bike in), filled the oil and ran the bike the rest of the weekend. I am concerned, however, when I take the bike in (1) the dealership will send me out the door saying everything is fine, and (2) future issues with the bike will arise that are undetectable to me right now.

How should I handle this and what should my concerns be? What should I expect from the dealership?

When you say trace amounts, what does that mean? If there was anything on the dipstick, it is probably OK.

Was the bike delivered in "ready to ride" condition as per the dealer? Usually they start and ride the bike as part of their checkout, so it should have been filled to spec.

There is no way to check for damage w/o a full teardown, so the dealer WILL tell you everything is fine. You continued to operate the bike, so it sounds like it is OK, and it probably is. However, if the bike was delivered from the dealer with an empty crankcase, personally, I would absolutely demand a new bike. They would likely refuse, but I guarantee I'd walk out with some kind of extended warranty, with a dealer-added-addendum so it would cover any damage from oil starvation.

It is puzzling that the bike "started screaming". I've actually ridden a road bike with no oil before (not mine - idiot owner), and the exact opposite happens when the engine starts seizing - power started falling off and RPMs started dropping, even with the throttle pinned. I shut down the bike once I noticed it was loosing power - I probably prevented a full seizure by no more than a few seconds. Incidentally, in that case, I just filled the crankcase with oil, and the bike was fine for years after that.

If, when you say "screaming", you mean a shreaking sound, then that motor IS already damaged (probably scored rod bearing), and I would not be satisfied with anything but a new bike OR a complete motor rebuild (new crank, rod, cylinder, piston, cam...a new bike would probably be cheaper).

Lastly, NEVER start an engine without checking the oil, even if it is your machine. The idiot that owned the road bike above learned that lesson along with me. And now you learned the lesson.

JayC

if i were you, i WOULD HAVE NOT , put any oil in it, just put it away right then and there, and take it in as soon as you got back, that way, it will get handled, now that you put oil in it, and it ran fine, they are most likely gonna say its fine too.

sad to hear a brand spanking new bike had no oil in it tho.

Oil starvation will cause piston seize, crank and rod bearing damage. .. The sounds you heard were caused by metal on metal contact,, It did not happen without SOME damage and extra wear.

Likely, the dealer will start it, if it starts, and does not make ominous sounds they will call it good and send you out the door.

The bike will run a hour more to ten years. No way to know without disassembly inspection and replacement of all worn parts. Or running it for an hour to ten years.

When they tell you it’s good to go, say wow that’s great to hear,, then you’ll have no problem selling it to the next buyer in perfect condition.. I’ll be happy to take another NEW bike like the one I paid you for, but this new one should come with the oil I paid for as well.

That is not realistic; they will not give you a new bike…. But that is the starting point for sure. Assuming you did not run it out of oil (not likely) It was not properly prepped at the dealer before delivery. So perhaps get in writing an extended warranty (limited) to issues related to oil starvation caused by dealer failure to properly prep the bike.

What dealer?

Central Yamaha in Plano, Tx is where we bought it. Excellent idea about getting extended warranty in writing. Going to go that route for sure. Somewhat concerned about the dealers horrible service reviews.

What dealer?

Great idea. I will definitely ask them to throw in an extended warranty. The dealer was Central Yamaha. I just did a quick search on them and their reviews aren't so good.

What dealer?

When you say trace amounts, what does that mean? If there was anything on the dipstick, it is probably OK.

Was the bike delivered in "ready to ride" condition as per the dealer? Usually they start and ride the bike as part of their checkout, so it should have been filled to spec.

There is no way to check for damage w/o a full teardown, so the dealer WILL tell you everything is fine. You continued to operate the bike, so it sounds like it is OK, and it probably is. However, if the bike was delivered from the dealer with an empty crankcase, personally, I would absolutely demand a new bike. They would likely refuse, but I guarantee I'd walk out with some kind of extended warranty, with a dealer-added-addendum so it would cover any damage from oil starvation.

It is puzzling that the bike "started screaming". I've actually ridden a road bike with no oil before (not mine - idiot owner), and the exact opposite happens when the engine starts seizing - power started falling off and RPMs started dropping, even with the throttle pinned. I shut down the bike once I noticed it was loosing power - I probably prevented a full seizure by no more than a few seconds. Incidentally, in that case, I just filled the crankcase with oil, and the bike was fine for years after that.

If, when you say "screaming", you mean a shreaking sound, then that motor IS already damaged (probably scored rod bearing), and I would not be satisfied with anything but a new bike OR a complete motor rebuild (new crank, rod, cylinder, piston, cam...a new bike would probably be cheaper).

Lastly, NEVER start an engine without checking the oil, even if it is your machine. The idiot that owned the road bike above learned that lesson along with me. And now you learned the lesson.

JayC

The bike was suppose to be ready to ride. The service tech admitted the bike should have never left without a complete inspection, obviously including oil in the bike. By trace amounts I mean (a) there was barely a mark of oil on the paper towel and (:smirk: it didn't even register on the dipstick. Apparently there was some oil in the bike to begin with, but not enough to last more than an hour. he probably didn't even have a full hour on it before it started shrieking. The shrieking lasted about 60 seconds before I could get the bike back for inspection. We shut it off immediately, checked the oil and found the problem. I called them immediately and they said if it did damage they would send me home with a new one or fix it. The bike appears, sounds and runs okay for now. However, I just don't have the skills or knowledge to verify what they say.

Everyone here has been helpful though. We will go in strong and demand a new bike and probably leave either really mad or with, at most, an extended written dealer warranty on the bike.

I don't know if I'd go so far as to demand a new bike, but I would want, in writing, a statement that there was an issue and should the bike need engine work which upon disassembly shows signs of oil starvation that they would provide all parts and labor at no cost to you for a set period of time, say five years?

Like others have said, it's probably fine, but just in case it's not have something in writing signed by someone high up in the dealership at the time. Staple his business card to this so you have proof that he wasn't just some tech or desk clerk who didn't have authority to endorse such an offer.

That happened to a friend's from-the-dealer bike years ago. Ran it about a mile and the same sounds/issues came up. Stopped riding and went to dealer. They paid to have everything inside replaced.

I don't know if your dealer will, but that extended warranty which you will NOT pay for since they should give it to the bike for THEIR screwup is a good idea on top of them replacing any potentially damaged parts.

Blargh, that absolutely sucks man. I hope the dealer works it all out for you. We just got our TTR50 the other day and it came with a delivery sheet that showed that both the seller and I had gone through a few points such as oil, filter, brakes working, tire pressure, and a few other minor things.

Now - Based on what most of the other TTR50 posts recommend - I suppose I could say it is time for the big bore kit, but I won't. Excuse me for showing a bit of levity..

Let us know how it all works out please

this is why even tho i dont do it all the time. but you should do an inspection over the bike everytime before you ride. ill do a quick scan but done really ever check oil. but truly your should check over your fluid levels on your bikes before they get rode. my friend took his dads ttr225 out to a friends and it ran out of oil like mid day while he was ridin.didnt lock the engine up but made it so it barely ran. the bearings on the cam pretty much are non existent and spread thru the engine. the piston is scored up like someone dumped sand into it. but cams and stuff up in the head are probably what will go first on engines when they run out due to the oil has to get pumped or slung all the way up there.l

Well, we spoke with the manager and his conversation leads us to believe he is going to tear the bike down, replace any parts necessary and make sure there is proper documentation for future potential issues. He said it is in his interested (since Yamaha will be paying the dealership), as well as ours be thorough and cover all bases. So, let's see how this pans out and I will keep everyone posted.

As for the walk through paperwork we signed, I thought about that several times. I was waiting on someone to mention that, and it still may come up. We shall see. However, I will argue like crazy because we have purchased, over time, at least 15 new pieces of equipment and not one single dealer has ever walked the bike with us, or offered.