Sign in to follow this  

How to clean a titanium pipe?

After riding yesterday, I reached down to grab the muffler to throw the bike on the stand (2010 ktm's don't have any other place to grab). But I missed and grabbed the midpipe. So now there is glove residue stuck on my pipe. Any idea how to get it off?

get it hot again, scrape it off w/ a putty knife, then let it cool and buff it w/ steel wool.

After riding yesterday, I reached down to grab the muffler to throw the bike on the stand (2010 ktm's don't have any other place to grab). But I missed and grabbed the midpipe. So now there is glove residue stuck on my pipe. Any idea how to get it off?

That's a tough one. A scotchbrite pad would work, but will probably leave a scuff that will be more visible than the burned plastic. I'd try soaking it with WD40 to attempt to release the burnt goo, then wipe using lots of pressure with a cloth.

I have melted plastic on headers before (tarp), and I just left it there, assuming it would burn off completely after a while. It didn't. I ended up sanding and painting the headers eventually, but I had a black blotch on them from the plastic for years.

JayC