Sign in to follow this  

Battle of the 450's

Alright guys, I'll be having an amazing opportunity soon to buy either one(or more) of the below bikes. So I need some opinions on which one would be the best buy. Year would be around 06 and up. I heard that the YZ had a bit more power, but the zuki handles the best. Haven't heard too much about the other two, so some insight on all would be appreciated.

YZ450

-

RMZ450

-

CRF450r

-

KX450r

I'll pass on what I have experienced and maybe it will help.

For the KX450, '06 bad, '07 & '08 good. '09 - '11 Great, 2012, well, read the tests, pretty much a slam dunk as the best and I also loved it.

CRF450, the '08 is one of the best 450's I have ever ridden, just needs a bit of fork work. Avoid the '09 like the plague. The '10 - '11 were each a bit better than the '09 and I really like the '11 except it was a bit slow compared to the KX. I haven't yet ridden the 2012 but friends are very happy with them.

RMZ, no personal experience but I have never met anyone yet that bought one and was not happy. The 2011 seems to be particularly good, based on friend's feedback, and the magazines also seem to love the 2012, one even choosing it over the KX.

YZ, again no personal experience but from my observations (I ride/race motocross every weekend, year-around) they seem to have a devoted following of hard-core fans but I know of several people that bought them and sold them very soon after.

Thanks for the great reply, bud. After doing a little more research I'm definitely leaning more towards the KX. Looks like it's a great bike all around. I may grab the CRF as well. Still going to look into them all a bit more and then buying time! :smirk:

I ride an 08 yzf. Im yamaha fan but am not married to the brand. I have also ridden the hondas extensively

The yz is very stable, smooth, mellow and

easy to turn fast lap times on. Power output is a wash, they both have plenty, but I addded a DrD exhaust to mine as well.

The Honda turns underneath it in tight turns at the expense of some higher speed stability

They are both very effective mx bikes, I just went blue because of a superior local dealer and its been working out well so far

Suzuki to me mkes a great handling motorcycle , but spotty reliability and overall cheap detailing has made me stay away (due to my personal experiences and that of a few other locals I know). They are superb if u need a single season pure mx bike though. I just would not buy a Suzi or Kawi used because of things like that though

There are plenty of Honda's , Yamahas and KTM's out there

I had a 06 KX450F and it bored me in 3 months, only 4 gears, dont get me wrong its a great all around bike, lots of pwer. I just prefer the 5 speed better, Ive riden a few CRF450s and the power is all there!! Even the older models, I, myself am getting the 2009 KX450F in the next few weeks I beleive, Why asvoid the 09s?/ Just wondering, thanks

I had a 06 KX450F and it bored me in 3 months, only 4 gears, dont get me wrong its a great all around bike, lots of pwer. I just prefer the 5 speed better, Ive riden a few CRF450s and the power is all there!! Even the older models, I, myself am getting the 2009 KX450F in the next few weeks I beleive, Why asvoid the 09s?/ Just wondering, thanks

I own an 09 kx450f. wonderful, wonderful bike. I bought it used about 4 months ago and other than a fuel pump failure (which I believe is the reason you would avoid an 09 kx... I've been told they had problems with their fuel pumps going out), the bike has performed greatly, very fast, responsive power delivery, good suspension, great bike.

I also own an 05 yz450f which has 4 gears.. In all honesty, this 05 450 has sold me on yamaha's.. despite the 4 gears, it still dishes out torque throughout the gears and it compares with my 09 kx.. I think if your 06 had been a yamaha, it wouldn't have bored you any at all but who knows lol

If it was me making the decision, the choice would be between a yamaha and a ktm.

My experience:

Hondas 450's Ive ridden up to 08 were great, havent ridden a 09 or newer.

Wouldnt hesitate to buy an EFI Suzuki, good runners and handlers. Ridden the 08/09 and liked them.

KX450's run good, but guys Ive known with them have all kinds of weird problems, no EFI failures that Ive seen though.

My 08 YZ was good but didnt have the low end snarl that the older YZs deliver, the difference is in the cams and ignition. Good bike though and reliable. Ive got a new YZ that Im still figuring out but like it so far.:smirk:

I am in the same boat! I love my o6 yz450, but like the 08-09 rmz450 (haven't ridden one yet thou). My yz is sorted, I love the power of the 06! But I know the rmz would and could out turn it. From the fuelie bikes I have ridden the power hit is not up to the 06 yz, but I am getting older? I just can't decide is it worth the hassle to get rid of my sorted yz to buy a used rmz and then get it sorted for me? Are the 08-09 bikes that much better than my 06 yz450f? I like the bike. What do you think?

Thanks for all the replies. Still liking the CRF and KX's. I always liked Yama, but regardless I still want to get the best bang for my buck. Getting sort of mixed opinions, but I guess I'll come to a conclusion soon.

Are you going to be able to purchase a brand new bike??? If so I can tell you about my experience's with my new crf450r.

I'm going to be buying used for the most part, unless I just have to get a 2012 of either models if it's worth it.

from what people tell me

the crf's are bullet prof, but the rmz is a great bike

as for the rest not sure

one thing though the honda's are cheap for spares at least where I am

Been really busy this past week, haven't been able to reply much. Because of the many threads that come up each week about each of these bikes, I was thinking maybe we can get a lot people/responses to post in this thread that has had experience with these bikes, and make it a "450 Database" or something similar for all information/opinions on these bikes.