Sign in to follow this  

pink wire mod

im thinking about the pink wire mods , and would like to know if i just split them and put a small on/off switch. let me know what you think

Yes, you can do that. I've read where several folks have made that MOD switched instead of perminent.

I used a KTM Dual Map Switch on mine , just get some wire and butt connectors that match the stock connectors , unplug the wire from the 4 prong connector , hook it to one side of the new wire , run the other end back into the connector where you unplugged the other wire from , when the switch is one way , its just like stock , when its the other way its bypassed , this mod works best with a cam and airbox mods and pipe , but i can tell the difference when riding and its nice to be able to switch it on the fly

Only recently got my CRF and just wondering what this pink wire mod is? where the pink wire is located? Won't be doing it anytime soon, she's great as she is at the moment, just want to understand what everyone is on about

Cheers

Letter of the Week: Uncorking a Honda CRF450X?

From the February, 2009 issue of Dirt Rider

Tweet

|

|

141_0509_z+Honda_CRF450X+Front_Left_Side_View_In_The_Air.jpg

Are there secrets to "uncorking"...

read full caption

141_0509_z+Honda_CRF450X+Front_Left_Side_View_In_The_Air.jpg

Are there secrets to "uncorking" the Honda CRF450X?

Dear Dirt Rider,

A while back you ran an article about getting around Califorina emissions on the WR450. How about giving some of us CRF450X owners a clue on how to uncork this thing? I've heard rumors of a pink wire under the left side cover in a six-pin harness. But I'm not too sure I want to snip any wires yet.

Thanks,

Jimmy C

San Jose, CA

Jimmy,

Forget the rumors, here are the facts. Don't touch the pink wire, all it does is allow the bike to rev farther, beyond the peak power where you don't want to be riding it anyways, at least in the configuration I will tell you about, which is a great setting for off-road riding. There is no "getting around" the emissions, that is the way your bike was sold. But for closed course competition you can modify the settings of the carb.

First, do not put a loud pipe on the bike. It messes up everything from the drivability of the bike to getting riding areas closed down. Don't do it.

Second, don't open up the air box, leave it stock. The filter stays clean forever and the bike makes good power and gets great fuel economy with really good power.

The best jetting we can recommend is: NCYS needle in the 3rd position, 142 main, 50 pilot This works at sea level to 8000 ft. with any quiet muffler (stock, Leo Vince, Akrapovic, FMF Q, Pro Circuit 496) Also blocking off the intake line of the air injection system (don't remove it) will stop the backfire on deceleration. A ball of duct tape works fine.

That is about it for secrets, keep an eye on our Long Haul section in Dirt Rider for updates on our CRF450X which is going on 100 hours. We've started playing with some suspension modifications and are really happy with the bike.

Ride on,

Jimmy Lewis

Editor, Dirt Rider Magazine

Read more: http://www.dirtrider.com/features/141_0509_uncorking_honda_crf450x/index.html#ixzz1jw8V912i

"The best jetting we can recommend is: NCYS needle in the 3rd position, 142 main, 50 pilot "

Well, Jimmy knows best.

:smirk:

:bonk:

Kinda makes me laugh too... And he's supposed to be an expert. I bet if we took a poll on TT about who is running his configuration and who is running ours... We would win. For me it's uncork that thing, oh yeah, cut that airbox (Top Only) 170 main, 48 Pilot , 50 leak JD Jet kit (Red Needle) 3rd clip. Pink wire mod... Yes, but put in an R cam first or HotCam... He's full of crap! I wonder where he gets his information from...?

Kinda makes me laugh too... And he's supposed to be an expert. I bet if we took a poll on TT about who is running his configuration and who is running ours... We would win. For me it's uncork that thing, oh yeah, cut that airbox (Top Only) 170 main, 48 Pilot , 50 leak JD Jet kit (Red Needle) 3rd clip. Pink wire mod... Yes, but put in an R cam first or HotCam... He's full of crap! I wonder where he gets his information from...?

From inside his rectum, I believe....