Sign in to follow this  

Anyone from Colorado Springs, CO?

We are thinking of moving to Colorado Springs/Monument area soon. Anyone familiar with the riding opportunities there? We like to trail ride and ride the occasional motocross track (no racing).

Kids are 12 and 16 and intermediate riders. KX100, CRF150RB, XR200.

My 12 year old is even asking about beginner enduro.

Any insight appreciated.

I am sure there is something to ride in Glenwood Springs but Grand Junction is only 60 minutes away. The north desert is wide open and a perfect place to learn. Then Bangs Canyon is more intense and rocky, classic mountain desert riding. Rabbit Valley is another 30 minutes away.

Aztec Raceway outside of CS. I lived there for several years. Several big boy tracks and smaller tracks for the kids.

I used to live in the Denver area and there are a bunch of places to ride in Springs area, but you won't have a year round riding season like you do in TX. Just don't tell anyone you are from Texas when you move there. :smirk:

I don't live there, but have ridden there with my brother in law who did live there. The entire front range is your playground. I have ridden Woodland Park and Captain Jack's and more I don't know. Re-jetting will definitely be needed

Just a helpful hint...this thread would be much more helpful in the rocky mountain regional forum.

As far as the enduro's we have a really good enduro series in which most of them have a junior race on the Saturday before the main enduro on Sunday. Below is the website with more info.

http://racermec.org/

I live just a bit east of Castle Rock, CO. There are several Rampart Range trails between Salida and Colorado Springs just to the west of Monument and northwest of Colorado Springs. Sounds like this might be more inline with your type of riding.

I am sure there is something to ride in Glenwood Springs but Grand Junction is only 60 minutes away. The north desert is wide open and a perfect place to learn. Then Bangs Canyon is more intense and rocky, classic mountain desert riding. Rabbit Valley is another 30 minutes away.

Huh? Glenwood Springs and GJ are nowhere near Colorado Springs.

As for riding near the Springs. You have countless places to ride anywhere from 20 minutes, to 4+ hours away. The entire state is littered with trails and tracks :-) You'll be amazed at the variety and sheer amount of available riding here.... Plus, Texas just sucks, move already ;-)

Lots of places to ride within a short drive of COS. Shoot me a PM when you get here and Id be glad to show you around.

Yes, tons of riding here. Year round riding is available on the track and within an hours drive in Pueblo, or PPIR. Great mountain trails for kids and recreational riders, and there are 2 local race series, RMEC (Rocky Mountain Enduro Circuit) and the new CORCS series (Colorado off-road championship series) which runs GP formats with kids classes as well as classes for dads :smirk:

We are thinking of moving to Colorado Springs/Monument area soon. Anyone familiar with the riding opportunities there? We like to trail ride and ride the occasional motocross track (no racing).

Kids are 12 and 16 and intermediate riders. KX100, CRF150RB, XR200.

My 12 year old is even asking about beginner enduro.

Any insight appreciated.

We've been here (Monument / Black Forest) since June 2010, as noted there's a wide variety of places to ride regionally. My kids are beginners, so we ride at Pueblo (PMP) quite a bit, and Dragonman's next to Aztec. They'll be on bigger bikes this year so we'll probably add PPIR and Aztec MX to the day-ride list.

Rampart Range and the Divide/Woodland Park region are 90min away (or less) and offer more challenging riding, we've been to both but they're a grind for a kid on a 50. Your kids will love it. The Captain Jack's trail in the foothills of CS is another good choice for intermediate riders.

Statewide, Colorado offers word class opportunities - Taylor Park, BLM land around Grand Junction, Rainbow Trail, Four Mile, and many others.

For a comprehensive list, visit http://www.staythetrail.org

Edited by xsrdx