Sign in to follow this  

swingarm bearings

I am having a bitch of a time getting my bearings out of my 96 kx 250 rebuild esp the lower arm kind of in the swimgarm. I cant get the swingarm off either. any tools techniques?

well its not only the swingarm but the lower linkage arm,wich the swingarm keeps me from getting a good shot at. I need to go back down and try to swing some wrenches on it Its been sitting so long I kinda forget. but I was going to freshen it up a few years ago I picked up new bearings a reed block fmf silencer,new top end etc....

That swingarm nut is 22mm or 7/8". Remove the nut and tap out the pivot bolt using a drift.

To get the races out, the easiest way is to cut a slit down the side using something like what schrode posted. They fall out then.

Bearing-Race-Removal.jpg

I can get the swingarm nut off but the swingarm piviot bolt is going to get ruined from me using a drift to punch it out. I remember this was the point where I was asking myself If replacing the swingarm bearings was worth getting a new piviot and just replace the linkage bearings I can get to, and button it back up. I mostly want to get it out of the way maybe a few beat runs here and there. Its taking up alot of space in my garage. the top end is done ,I just need to get it rolling again. probably worth $700. ?? idk.

hummn kinda running low on brass and aluminum pipe. I suppose i could fill a copper pipe with solder and try that. I just need some motivation to get rolling again on this project. the ground is now frozen here. so hobby time. The new husaberg is great but Love the 2 strokes always.

The swingarm has a hole in the center...put a soft bolt in the hole and using an extension like Jeekins said...tap..tap..tap...and if you have to beat that sob out from grooving in it..then the small damage done to the first thread or so aint gonna matter...it needs replacing.

I have a cheap old 10" 3/8 drive extension I use for these and axles.

This is what I use

The swingarm has a hole in the center...put a soft bolt in the hole ....

I've been fighting a cold for a week now so I'm a little off my game, but I do that exact thing with steering stems. :smirk:

I've had good luck using a 5/8 hardwood dowel. The wood will crack before any threads get messed up. Never had a hard time removing one though.