Sign in to follow this  

Help a newbie...

Soooo... I'm basically without any idea when it comes to bikes other than a buddy of mine drag races suzukis and some old friends of mine used to ride in the mountains on their sport bikes. After my own research i've come to the conclusion that the DZR400SM is what I want. I bought my 2010 Cobalt SS Turbo brand new in july of 2010 and it now has 29k miles... most of which have been up in the sc/nc/tn mountains (SC178, NC215, SC/GA/NC28, SC/NC107, US129, US441) and I've seen a number of motards up there...

I've found a DZR400SM for what i consider "cheap"... the only thing that bothers me is that it has about 21k miles on it. Is that a lot for one of these motors? i know my sport bike buddies basically consider one of those to be toast around then... are there any things i should look for on a used one? I'm obviously going to check everything i can to make sure it hasnt been laid down previously.

whats the expected life of one of these things then? thats just the first one i've found for cheap, it was 3100

I paid $4k for my 07 SM with 3,300 miles on the clock and a few mods: clark tank, sliders, Zeta Levers, SS brake like, new taillight, Leo Vince, newish tires

my 02 400s now has about 36-37,000 miles on it. Still runs like a champ. im about to do a 440 kit on it, its been slowly losing power these past 1000miles or so

That's getting up there, but shouldn't be a total deal-breaker if it's a good looking scoot. Check all the normal maintenance areas...they speak volumes of the condition the bike was run under for all those miles. Is the chain new or very well cared for? Sprockets tell the story if the chain is new. Do the fasteners look like they've been in-and-out over time? Is there a manual camchain tensioner or still the stock hydraulic? Alot of aftermarket bling over stock drivetrain? Could be squid-bashed. Ugly bike with sweet mechanicals and maintenance records/receipts? That's a better deal.

I'm resurrecting a 24K-miler right now, myself. Not the prettiest, but I know the maintenance was good before "the event". I know this, 'cause I've owned Fang from new and recommend DRZ400SM's whole heartedly.

Edited by bayoubikebruiser