Sign in to follow this  

Clutch problem please help

Hi everyone,

Just bought a 08 450 sx-f on the first ride out i noticed an oil leak from the under the slave cylinder.

The clutch drags when pulled in causing to stall in corners (very anoying)

And it is impossible to find nuteral when bike is running.

Anyway i pulled of the slave today and oil poured out (is this normal?)

This is a pic

028jxe.jpg

030tkn.jpg

032jl.jpg

I take it a rebuilt kit is needed?

Also I will bleed the system i only have ATF (Detron III) will this be ok?

Im just worried that gear oil maybe in the clutch would it be wise to change the larger seal in pic one? Many thanks

Yes. That thing looks good. I would inspect it and if it is not torn or mishaped use it. Its only for the cover. The real culprit is the other one.

Many thanks mikerides33 iv ordered the slave rebuild kit today I'll let ya know how it goes

Installed the slave rebuild kit today n all is good. I can now find nuteral with ease. No more drag either while clutch is pulled. I put baby oil in the hydraulic clutch n works well.

Ok an update guys, clutch now works great no more leaking and finding nuteral is a breeze now.

Problem I noticed when out on bike at the weekend,

The clutch bite point at the lever was immediate and grabby / not disengaging fully prior to the slave rebuild

Now the clutch bite point is way to far out at the lever (near end of lever pull), and it has very little bite and is almost on/off feel to it.

I think it may be my clutch plates are worn, as iv only owned the bike for a few weeks I havent checked the plates. Is there a way to measure for wear etc.

you did good so far, the oil in the gear box does run out from there if you remove the slave, it does not mix with the clutch tho, but if the slave seal leaks then the hyd oil wil flow into the gear box, but wont hurt anything.

oil is either mineral or vegetable, motor use or cooking is another way to look at it, the baby oil is mineral so you are ok.

the current problem may indeed be the plates are worn or a grooved basket