Sign in to follow this  

Fixed up my workshop last week

i was going to post this in the general or picture forum but you yz guys are just cooler than everybody else :bonk:

anyhow...i finally got around to fixing up my workshop. it is a 26X26' space with single garage door. we bought the house 2 years ago and i had a decent shop setup before. however, the walls were bare studs with no insulation and the place was kinda messy still from the previous owner who happens to be one of my good friends. well last week my buds came over and we got the bulk of the work done. luckily they worked for beer and various grilled morsels so my labor rate was decent. we insulated and put up osb on the walls and then painted it. i figured it would be more durable than sheet rock (which we used on the ceiling). we also used blow in type insulation in the loft space...which is some pretty nasty shit i might add. next weekend i plan to build a new work bench in an L-shape behind the island bench. this is where i will setup my drill press and bench grinder. this will also provide more work space. i have 3 more light fixtures that i plan to hang lower over the bench. we mounted all the peg board on 1"x2" and it came out really nice. i also have some really nice shevling coming for the pegboard to hold chemical and such. i have a nice 240volt heater unit coming as well. i have my air compressor/ air tool setup to the left of the garage door but you cant see it in the pics. you guys have any suggestions, feedback, or ideas? here are some pics-- sorry about the quality...phone pics. notice 5 bikes and no 4-strokes!! my buds all keep there bikes @ the house which also helped keep my labor rate down on the renovation :smirk:

IMG-20120102-00001.jpg

IMG-20120102-00005.jpg

IMG-20120102-00002.jpg

• Like 1

Looking good man :smirk:

I would have painted the walls white to aid in light in the garage.

Also, I'd cover those windows with some blinds or something so the pill heads in the area can't see all those nice bikes and tools they can steal and sell for more dope money when youre out of town.

I love the bike art on the wall with actual bike parts, great idea....I may have to "borrow" that idea sometime.

Ohhhh, nice collection of bikes, that #40 Yamaha looks killer. I take posession of our new house on the 30th this month. The garage is pretty bare but I hope to do a bunch of photos and build some nice benchs and cabinets like your describing. I hope to see you continue this thread, maybe a few more people will contribute. Awesome ideas so far!

Also...don't know what you got for a tool chest, but I hang over on Garage Forum sometimes too and the US General tool chests below get GREAT reviews. They are the items that really ARE good stuff from Harbor Freight. I've got one of these setups and love it - MUCH MUCH better quality than the Craftsman box setup I had before. I was able to use a couple 20% OFF coupons when they were on sale and got them both for $520 OTD.

Bottom box

http://www.harborfreight.com/13-drawer-red-industrial-quality-roller-cabinet-90320.html

Top box

http://www.harborfreight.com/red-roller-cabinet-top-chest-92099.html

Looking good man :smirk:

I would have painted the walls white to aid in light in the garage.

Also, I'd cover those windows with some blinds or something so the pill heads in the area can't see all those nice bikes and tools they can steal and sell for more dope money when youre out of town.

I love the bike art on the wall with actual bike parts, great idea....I may have to "borrow" that idea sometime.

thanks man. i picked a light color but figured the green would hide scuff marks a little better than plain white. my buds were quick to point out that it is "sea foam" green though.

my wife made me the wall art bike. it has a montage of broken parts all over it. it used to me in my office. i also saved all my old sprockets front and back which she plans to make a really cool border out of. she is also making a board that says "sacrifies to the gods of speed" with all my old pistons on it.....yeah she's pretty cool.

as far as the blinds go....we live in the middle of the woods and our nearest neighbor is .5 miles away. we dont even have blinds in the house. if somebody is back there and i'm not home.....i'm gonna get robbed. but they will have to pass my only neighbor (+ his scatter gun) to get out . if somebody tries to rob me when i'm home....there going to be greeted by mr. 3-5-7. however, thankfully i dont have any "passers by".

I really like that bike art as well! Great idea! Your workshop looks great! Might just consider putting a couple 4T's in there. If anything, just to fill the empty space in your workshop! :smirk:

One thing I have been considering doing in my workshop is using expanded metal on the inside of the window frames to keep unwanted thieves out.

Wow Thumbs up ^ from the Left Coast Rodgini -I wish you were closer so I can bring my Pile to your new Shop!LOL.-Im a Heat & A/C Guy,Our weather here is nothing like your V.A. By insolating your roll-up doors and floor covering on the slab -will make a heck of a change on your over-all garage temperature.-Oh ya-With all that Fuel-Dont forget some ventalation now that you have a hard-lid.

Again-Congats Sir nice job!

Also...don't know what you got for a tool chest, but I hang over on Garage Forum sometimes too and the US General tool chests below get GREAT reviews. They are the items that really ARE good stuff from Harbor Freight. I've got one of these setups and love it - MUCH MUCH better quality than the Craftsman box setup I had before. I was able to use a couple 20% OFF coupons when they were on sale and got them both for $520 OTD.

Bottom box

http://www.harborfreight.com/13-drawer-red-industrial-quality-roller-cabinet-90320.html

Top box

http://www.harborfreight.com/red-roller-cabinet-top-chest-92099.html

thanks for the info. if you look in the far right corner of the shop you can see a blue snap-on tool cart. it only has 3 drawers + the lift top but it is plenty for all my bike related tools and most tools are hanging on the peg board.

I really like that bike art as well! Great idea! Your workshop looks great! Might just consider putting a couple 4T's in there. If anything, just to fill the empty space in your workshop! :bonk:

thanks man- i get 4-strokes in there from time to time....usually when they break :smirk:

Ohhhh, nice collection of bikes, that #40 Yamaha looks killer. I take posession of our new house on the 30th this month. The garage is pretty bare but I hope to do a bunch of photos and build some nice benchs and cabinets like your describing. I hope to see you continue this thread, maybe a few more people will contribute. Awesome ideas so far!

ah you have good taste my friend.... the # 40 is my bike. :smirk: all the others fall under the "if you build it they will come" clause. i have a backyard mx track and my buddies bikes just tend to stick around. this comes in handy when i need help. how can they say no when it's really a new climate controlled environment for their rides to stay in? my buddies tig welder is coming over to stay too :bonk:

good luck with the new house. my suggestion is do the work before you move all your crap in if you can. otherwise it will be a while before you get around to it. i wanted to do it when i moved in but the budget did not allow it. i will post some more pics up as things progress for sure.

Wow Thumbs up ^ from the Left Coast Rodgini -I wish you were closer so I can bring my Pile to your new Shop!LOL.-Im a Heat & A/C Guy,Our weather here is nothing like your V.A. By insolating your roll-up doors and floor covering on the slab -will make a heck of a change on your over-all garage temperature.-Oh ya-With all that Fuel-Dont forget some ventalation now that you have a hard-lid.

Again-Congats Sir nice job!

yeah...it's already a good 10-15 degress warmer in there even without the heater. the door is already insulated. any suggestions for flooring? i was thinking about doing an epoxy coating in the spring.

Coating is like my Diet-I start out on the Chicken and Fish,and by the end of the year"it's Tri-tip and Onion rings LOL.

I have had good luck with foil Inso and Indoor/out door Carpet.I have Nice drip-pans down in the right area and easy wipe linoleum around the bench.

Very nice, wish I could get my garage in order. It's only worse now that Christmas has come and gone, plus a wedding. There's so many boxes of crap stacked up that I need to find spaces for!!!!

Check out Garage Journal for some really nice shop spaces and lot, and lot, and LOTS of ideas from storage to benches to homemade tools.

Good looking shop . I've been slowly getting my garage to were I want it to be at. Been in our house for almost 2 years and had to get everything done to the house first . Between that , getting married, starting a new job and putting in around 60-65 hours a week for a while and my wife is due in the end of februray , the garage got put on the back burner . Got the work bench built and some cabinets and peg board hung . Once spring hits, I'm hoping to get my compressor , toolbox and re-do all my electric out there . I like your set up a lot , but my gArage has my truck and wifes car on it so I won't be able to go all out . Our next house I'm gonna build a shop for bikes tho . Btw , your bike is a sexy bitch .

Clean, uncluttered and very nice. Mine is the complete opposite of yours so no need for a pic.

Clean, uncluttered and very nice. Mine is the complete opposite of yours so no need for a pic.

Dude awesome job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love the yzs!!!! they look awesome!!!!!!!!!!!

Very nice indeed, big space, if you are going to be working on your bikes in there, id do the epoxy floor coating, i picked up my kit from the HD for $99 bucks, and it was enough to do my 2 car garage, heres a pic of mine.

clear.jpg

hg5.jpg

its been on for a little over 2 years now, and still like brand new, EVERYTHING cleans or wipes right off of it, its freaking great, and amazingly cheap, i think.

Very nice indeed, big space, if you are going to be working on your bikes in there, id do the epoxy floor coating, i picked up my kit from the HD for $99 bucks, and it was enough to do my 2 car garage, heres a pic of mine.

clear.jpg

hg5.jpg

its been on for a little over 2 years now, and still like brand new, EVERYTHING cleans or wipes right off of it, its freaking great, and amazingly cheap, i think.

wow. that epoxy looks sweet. does that stuff have a certain temp range for installation? my buds a chemistry professor and said i should wait until spring when it's warmer for the best bond.

Dude awesome job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love the yzs!!!! they look awesome!!!!!!!!!!!

thanks man. the one with the green plates is my buds 05.