Sign in to follow this  

01 Honda cr125 Vertex pistons

I have 01 honda cr125 i bought it one month ago. i want to buy a new vertex piston and there are different types of pistons, one is with window and one without a window. so can someone tell me what's the difference?

sorry for my bad english. :S

The piston with the port window allows fresh charge to enter close to the wrist pin when the piston is down in the stroke, and more effectively (in theory) cool the piston crown from the bottom side. This is also a modification that is sometimes done to heavily built bikes (like the extra ports in the "Boyeson port" question on this forum). I don't know the specs on the 2 vertex pistons in question, but I'd guess the piston with the window is lighter and would rev a little faster also.

Someone will probably suggest that the window lets the bike flow more fuel, but this doesn't seem likely to me, since the only time the window is available is when the piston is in the bottom of the stroke and the crankcase is under pressure--but again, I'm very teachable.

Bottom line, on a stock bike, I'd go with whatever is recommended by the manufacturer.

Thanks a lot.

I'm from macedonia so here we don't have vertex pistons and have to order it from another country :S. here we have meteor pistons so i would like to khow are they good quality pistons ?

I have never had an issue with the Vertex piston. Have been running them in multiple bikes. Some builders swear by them. They are the stock piston manufacturer for KTM.