Sign in to follow this  

Project 2011 450, need ideas.

Well in about a month I will be trading in both my 250 and 450 for a 2011 450. This bike, if I'm financially able to. I would like to turn into a monster. But I need some opinions on the best ways to do so.

First, the cam. Was thinking of a Hot Cam. Also a high compression piston and maybe a better than OEM clutch.

Also, I do not want to do a bore kit. I want to squeeze the most power out of that engine without sacrificing reliability.

If anyone has any info on this, or has done this your input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

You would be much better of spending your money on suspension upgrades or even an exhaust system. The last thing the bike needs is more power. Perhaps work on your riding skills and save some money for the riding season.

Cams and Hi Comp pistons scariface reliablity 100% of the time

It's not that the bike needs more power, its that I like working on the bikes. Just kind of my thing, how about I work on my riding skills and my bike at the same time? Also, the suspension will be done without a question, same with exhaust. I've just never really gotten into internals, I'm even into aftermarket airboxes, radiators. Pretty much just going to be my project bike.

Any other ideas?

CP platinum kit, weighted crank, porting, stage 2 builder series hotcam, MRD custom exhaust, FULL xceldyne valvetrain, bazzaz auto tune system. built a few of these national caliber bikes, they put out between 65 and 72 hp depending on your cam, coatings , compression and bearings.

• Like 1

CP platinum kit, weighted crank, porting, stage 2 builder series hotcam, MRD custom exhaust, FULL xceldyne valvetrain, bazzaz auto tune system. built a few of these national caliber bikes, they put out between 65 and 72 hp depending on your cam, coatings , compression and bearings.

I would be about half nervous throwing a leg over that bike!

My 08 CRF450R stock has plenty getty up and go for me...

The first thing I would do is Factory connection suspention and then an exhaust and have Eddie Sisneros (sp?) tune it. That will be and awsome machine. Then if you feel brave you could send the head to Ron Hamp and have him port it. Now you have a bike that makes about 57HP and has awesome suspention.What more could you ask for?:smirk:

• Like 1

We've had very good results with off the shelf parts.

valve seats contoured matched to the head casting

Hot cams stage 2

Yosh rs4

CP 14.1 with a bit of cleaning

stock maping

stock gearing

110 90 tire

Recently we had the ports cleaned up further, dropped to lower CR piston, took a smidge off the head, and my son says its faster now than before.

He's with the bike in the south now and tells me he hole shot both 450pro moto's at Gatorback. Which is something he's never been able to do.

We've had very good results with off the shelf parts.

valve seats contoured matched to the head casting

Hot cams stage 2

Yosh rs4

CP 14.1 with a bit of cleaning

stock maping

stock gearing

110 90 tire

Recently we had the ports cleaned up further, dropped to lower CR piston, took a smidge off the head, and my son says its faster now than before.

He's with the bike in the south now and tells me he hole shot both 450pro moto's at Gatorback. Which is something he's never been able to do.

Is your son mike sottile?

For the life of my I can't see why anyone would want to modify a 450 that much other than a pro. I can understand trying to move the power around from to the top/bottom, etc but sinking all that money into something that most can't utilize all the power from is beyond me.

^ Good question, why not? Personally I think it would be awsome to have something plain jane to begin with and when your all said and done is something completely different, one of a kind. One day, I'll have the money to do it, and I'll have a great time doing it. Question the idea all you want, unless you've got some good ideas, it doesn't really matter to me. Just my 2 cents.

For those of you who replied. Thank you! The tuff racing package was exactly what I was looking for. Just wasn't sure what people had tried, liked and didn't like. Has anyone tried any aftermarket air-boxes or other less common mods?

^ Good question, why not? Personally I think it would be awsome to have something plain jane to begin with and when your all said and done is something completely different, one of a kind. One day, I'll have the money to do it, and I'll have a great time doing it. Question the idea all you want, unless you've got some good ideas, it doesn't really matter to me. Just my 2 cents.

For those of you who replied. Thank you! The tuff racing package was exactly what I was looking for. Just wasn't sure what people had tried, liked and didn't like. Has anyone tried any aftermarket air-boxes or other less common mods?

Shoot I forgot about the air box. We have the Air4orce intake boot, with the top end stack.

Although fun my point is modding the engine hurts reliability and is money throughly wasted. There are several riders qualifying for nationals on stock bikes (excluding suspension and pipe). I.E. Chisolm at Bercy. Stock engines are designed to balance reliabilitly and performance. If you want to throw money into it so that it exhuasts you out even faster go ahead. A new shoei, SG 12's, 4 sets of tires, leatt brace, or FC revalve all come to mind as better ways to burn your disposable income.

• Like 1

I agree completely, yes it is a waste of money. Have I thought this through? Yes I have, why to people spend so much money on performance for cars or trucks? Because its exhilerating to drive them, only difference is that there are no laws on a motocross track. No speed limits, no cops, no rules. My 450 is a ton of fun to ride stock, but you can always have fun with more power.

I agree completely, yes it is a waste of money. Have I thought this through? Yes I have, why to people spend so much money on performance for cars or trucks? Because its exhilerating to drive them, only difference is that there are no laws on a motocross track. No speed limits, no cops, no rules. My 450 is a ton of fun to ride stock, but you can always have fun with more power.

Not necessarily on a motocross track you can't but either way it's your choice build away and good luck.

For the life of my I can't see why anyone would want to modify a 450 that much other than a pro. I can understand trying to move the power around from to the top/bottom, etc but sinking all that money into something that most can't utilize all the power from is beyond me.

Supermoto

• Like 1