Sign in to follow this  

CR125 Clutch - Oil nasty after @ 1 hr.

The oil in my son's 07 CR125 is "NASTY" after only an hour or so of riding. It's completely black! My son isn't hard on the clutch and the oil doesn't smell burnt. I've heard that the Aluminum clutch plates contaminate the oil really quickly. Is this the case? Does anyone else have this issue? Has anyone changed to steel clutch plates and eliminated the problem?

Any insights or thoughts are appreciated!

Thanks!

125 + alum. plates = black oil

Don't sweat it. Just change the oil frequently and it'll be fine. I recommend 2 hour intervals for raced 125's and 4 hours for trail ridden 125's.

What CamP said! I trail ride mine and have been changing it out every few rides (~6 hours) and it is always very gray, although not black. I decided to keep the aluminum plates in mine, but I'm considering steel for next time.

I've heard the aluminum plates "contaminate" the oil and that the particles can damage/wear the transmission/clutch components. I think that argument is invalid assuming you change the oil regularly.

Steel plates have been touted as lasting longer, not contaminating the oil as quick, giving a different "feel", and possibly adding a slight "flywheel" effect. Eric Gorr specifically mentions switching to steel on the 90-97 CR's, but I'm not sold yet. I've been pretty satisfied with how my clutch works with the aluminums and has lasted since I've owned it and I plan to run for another season on them.

What CamP said! I trail ride mine and have been changing it out every few rides (~6 hours) and it is always very gray, although not black. I decided to keep the aluminum plates in mine, but I'm considering steel for next time.

I've heard the aluminum plates "contaminate" the oil and that the particles can damage/wear the transmission/clutch components. I think that argument is invalid assuming you change the oil regularly.

Steel plates have been touted as lasting longer, not contaminating the oil as quick, giving a different "feel", and possibly adding a slight "flywheel" effect. Eric Gorr specifically mentions switching to steel on the 90-97 CR's, but I'm not sold yet. I've been pretty satisfied with how my clutch works with the aluminums and has lasted since I've owned it and I plan to run for another season on them.

i used to break friction plates in my kx125 ....then i got an ebc clutch kit problem solved

i used to break friction plates in my kx125 ....then i got an ebc clutch kit problem solved

To be honest, I've always only considered the driven discs when in the context of steel vs. aluminum. I've heard of fibers breaking, though. Maybe other worn components like the basket and hub contribute to the fiber plates breaking? Or just an under-designed clutch in certain models?

well once i switched to steel i never broke plates aluminum is to soft and will flex causing my fibers to break

i used to clutch the $hit out of my 125