Sign in to follow this  

Hi all! Newbie here - engine advice needed

Hi everyone, I am new on this forum so I thought I would first say hi! Im from the UK and don't currently own a bike, I am however thinking about building up a shifter kart using a dirt bike engine, so I thought it best to join a forum and check which route I should go down.

I am planning on initially fitting a 250cc dirt bike engine (this will increase once everything is upgraded etc as I will be a fun project that will be used for a bit of track time and also 1/4 mile drag times :smirk:

I have heard that a Yamaha YZ250 engine would be a good start as they seem to be pretty popular and would therefore have quite a few good parts/upgrades.

Would a YZ250 engine be a good engine to use or is there a Honda or another engine I should look into?

thanks in advance :bonk:

go to microracing.com, the have used honda 270 motors with kick starts removed and such. these motors fly in a 600lb micro sprint. they are not cheap but are fast

Thanks for your help, some of the microcars look like a lot of fun lol the kart engines on there are a lot of money, its due to the fact that they are only kart engines and so are maxxed out to the regs for that engine class, so are more expensive but do indeed produce loads of power for the size. My kart won't be restricted in any way, I am planning on fitting a 250cc engine initially, but then might build a 600cc gixxerkart etc which are crazy fast lol

I wanted to go with a dirtbike engine initially though due to the lower cost of the engine and the cheaper spares and more flexable tuning options, are those Yamaha 250 engines a good place to start?