Sign in to follow this  

08 530 oil problem fix

I'm looking at getting a used KTM dual sport, and so far it looks like I should stay away from the 08 530 because or the oil loss from motor to tranny. Is there any solid fix for this problem, or just stay clear?

I have an 09 530exc and a couple of my riding buddies have 08 450exc's, I have yet to actually meet anyone that has had the oil ring or oil transfer problem.

I may be off base but I would bet that the bulk of the bad ring problems came from guys who had not rejetted their bikes and ended up with a hot motor.

The oil transfer problem may be the symptom of guys that had over filled the motor side and created extra crankcase pressure hence blow by onto the tranny side.

Yeah, it's amazing how you read all over the Forums about these issues...however in all my riding with Guy's that have 450/ 530's none have had any issues? I have 530 & it's a great bike for it's intened use.

Ok, I know it,s a low number of 08 with the problem, If I happen to get one is there a good fix? Is the seal coming out the only problem?

Thanks.

Ok, I know it,s a low number of 08 with the problem, If I happen to get one is there a good fix? Is the seal coming out the only problem?

Thanks.

I ride with several friends on 08 530's and all have been trouble free on the seal issue. You'll want to update the oil pump parts and oil jet for the 08. Link here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=697495&highlight=hodakaguy

Hodakaguy

All I get is the odds of not getting a bad one, what I would like to know, is there a solid fix for the bikes that do have a proplem.

All I get is the odds of not getting a bad one, what I would like to know, is there a solid fix for the bikes that do have a proplem.

Sometimes from what I've read, Sometimes the replacement/updated seals do the trick...and sometimes new cases are needed to completely resolve the issue. It's a very small number of bikes affected overall from what I've read, If your worried about it I'd stick with a 09 and up.

Hodakaguy

I have an 08 450 with no problems yet.While its down for the winter think i might fix the transfer seal and the oil pump gears.I figure cheap insurance.I have had the tourqe liminator and the cam replaced under warrenty so after that it should be good to go.

Thanks, Sounds like the seal is the bigest issue. If I found A good deal on a 08 I would do the oil pump gears and seal.

Or even better-switch to a common oil "chamber"-there was a thread in ktmtalk about it. Since you will have to take the engine apart anyway-it may well worth the effort.

Out of our group of eight 2008 450 exc-r's, one has had the oil tranfer problem (fixed with the new seal) and one has had the ring problem (after 3 years) and 3 needed the newer cam/ADC. We're happy.