Sign in to follow this  

2000 klr 250

Hello all, I normally spend my time on the DRZ side of the forums, but I have a few questions about another bike of mine.

This was my first road legal bike, bought it back in either `08 or `09. Being young and not paying attention, ran the bike low on oil from having too long of an oil change interval (Tried to go 3k miles :bonk:) After dropping it off to a shop I enlisted into the military and never got to ride the bike again, the guy was kind enough to drop it off at my parents house after all the repairs were complete and that is where it has sat for the last 2 years.

Since I own a Supermoto, I'd rather fix this bike up and have it as an off road machine instead of buying rims and swapping wheels every time I want to go off roading.

Since it has sat for so long I'm expecting the carb to be varnished and will need a tear down, I plan on buying a jet kit and not even attempting to clean the old jets. Whats my best option for a jet kit? And would anyone have a good baseline for what jet settings I should be needing at sea level in North Carolina? I'd like to put a pipe on it, Not just a slip on, but a complete pipe. I read on here even taking the header pipe off and grinding the welds down can increase performance.

What is a typical amount to open up the airbox? On the DRZ its one of the first things recommended to cut at airbox into a 3" x 3" hole and rejet.

Obviously change the oil and filter, does the crankcase require a crush washer on the drain bolt like the Z? And I don't want to turn this into an oil thread, but what are some recommended oils to use in the KLR?

I plan on getting case savers, bark busters, and rad guards. Anything else recommended for insurance?

And while trying to reinstall the front wheel after a tire change I did not have the brake pad on the correct side of the disc and managed to ruin my caliper, other than fleabay is there anyone that might have one laying around we could discuss a price for?

Sorry for the long read, any suggestions would be helpful :smirk:

Not many people own a KLR250, so you're kind of on your own on a few things.

As far as opening up the airbox, the previous owner of my 2000 decided to drill a about 1000 holes before the filter (and it didn't really help much); so start off with 1"x1" and go from there.

The jet kits usually have their recommendations on what to start off with for whatever modification you have; so I would start there.

Oil weight, use what the user manual states for the weather you're riding in; and I do believe it uses a washer.

KLR650.net has a 250 subforum that might be able to help you out a bit better. Also, you might want to pick up both service manuals for the 250 (main and supplement); it will help things go a lot smoother.

Ya, KLR650.net's subforum for 250 gets more traffic. I'd just buy stock jets from Rocky Mountain for next to nothing. If you can find a DynoJet kit then I would consider that too but it is a CV carb so don't expect noticeable changes.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, really got the ball rolling.