Sign in to follow this  

Shifter and shift shaft can spin 360 degrees... stuck in third

Got new rings on her after siting for 2 months. new paintjob, got her all together starts up. ridding her around and BOOM. i go to down shift from 3rd and the shifter is vertical...

Shifter shaft just spins and dose nothing. any thoughts? no clicking or bad noises, but it looks like im going to have to split the case for the 4th time. :smirk:

Unit is a 1985 Tri-moto 225DX three wheeler with a 4 speed auto clutch. I KNOW this is not the appropriate thread, but i trust the logic of my suzuki mates more than anyone else.

You're sure it's not spinning where it's clamped to the shift shaft? They strip out sometimes. If that is good, try pulling the shaft straight out. It may have snapped in the middle and be in two pieces. Pull the clutch cover off to get the other half out and replace. Maybe it would be best to remove the clutch cover first and have a look in there. If the piece that is welded on the end that turns the shift drum is broken off, it may not pull out from the left. I am only guessing because I don't know the internals of that unit.

You're sure it's not spinning where it's clamped to the shift shaft? They strip out sometimes. If that is good, try pulling the shaft straight out. It may have snapped in the middle and be in two pieces. Pull the clutch cover off to get the other half out and replace. Maybe it would be best to remove the clutch cover first and have a look in there. If the piece that is welded on the end that turns the shift drum is broken off, it may not pull out from the left. I am only guessing because I don't know the internals of that unit.

I'd say you about covered it.

first thing i checked, and while riding i looked down and thought thats what it was. i went and stalled it by my house looked down and the entire shaft is spinning. i also cannot pull it out, i have a whole nother bottom end in my basement. no wields, entire shifting assembly was mint, nothing was warn last time i was in there. and that was 6months/100 hours of riding ago. im sure i have the part, just gottah figure out whats broke. never saw or heard of this... :smirk: