Sign in to follow this  

Side cover bolts *bling

Ive been interested in the anodized bolt kits that replace all of the drz's side cover bolts, but they are aluminum... which kinda of turns me away. Does anybody else think that they would be too soft and just end up causing grief?

Its not like they would be coming on/off very often, but i would be afraid to torque them very tight. Same deal with the fairing kit, they look nice but with those i figured they come on/off a lot more and would end up trashed.

Does anyone have and opinions or experience with these? Would anyone else ever consider running a set, or would you guys just stay away completely.

No experience, but Aluminum is not a good material for bolts (in my opinion as a metallurgist). There are aluminum alloys strong enough to make bolts out of but then you get into stress corrosion problems. It is just not worth it and I would not even consider it.

If you have $ to spend for bling, go Ti.

I know fragmasterkarl has them on his. I believe the kit comes with torque specs. I plan on getting them in the summer.

I don't like them for the same reasons you state.

However somebody sells anodized aluminum fender washers for the plastics, just don't remember who.

aluminium bolts are fine for casing and fairing, i have it on mine

it saves u an aweful lot of weight by just changing to them, you will realise by the end of the day when you got all these spare steel bolts ;D

probolt make them in a kit and also a workshop pack, i got the workshop pack and cutted them to length as orginal bolts. the 50 pack does pretty much all casing bolts and all plastic and leave you some spares

if you are loaded you can change all the others to ti, the main ones that hold the engine together, swing arms, disc, forks, triple clamps, bars etc

my mate done it all on his. his bike is hell a lot lighter than mine, you can feel it by just picking it up

just make sure you torque it up properly and you ll be fine :smirk:

No experience, but Aluminum is not a good material for bolts (in my opinion as a metallurgist). There are aluminum alloys strong enough to make bolts out of but then you get into stress corrosion problems. It is just not worth it and I would not even consider it.

If you have $ to spend for bling, go Ti.

Yeah thats kinda of the same thought I have going as well, I just figured that maybe you could get away with it for the side case covers because they are are not load baring and dont come in and out much.

I looked at the TI kit as well but I have trouble spending close to 300 dollars for a set of shnazzy bolts. where as the anodized Aluminum ones are only 50

I don't like them for the same reasons you state.

However somebody sells anodized aluminum fender washers for the plastics, just don't remember who.

Liked the fender ones as well but my fenders come on/off so often that i figured theyd just be trashed in no time, plus i dont like having to use and allen to take them off.

For reference Im considering the pro bolt kits for the drz. It seems that the risk far outweighs the small visual appeal.

The weights on Pro-Bolt's website don't make sense.

Titanium Engine Kit DRZ400 '00-'06/Part No: ESU027TI

Weight: 148.4700

Aluminium Engine Kit DRZ400 '00-'06 Silver/Part No: ESU027S

Weight: 114.3900

The weights on Pro-Bolt's website don't make sense.

Titanium Engine Kit DRZ400 '00-'06/Part No: ESU027TI

Weight: 148.4700

Aluminium Engine Kit DRZ400 '00-'06 Silver/Part No: ESU027S

Weight: 114.3900

aluminium is lighter but soft, ti is much stronger but heavier

Don't do it.

You will regret it sooner or later. Get Ti hardware if weight's the issue.

If you just want more blingy bolts, get a cheap zinc-plated kit form Tusk.

Shiny, won't rust, no break or bend like aluminum junk.

Anyone else? on last bump

AL: Lightest weight; Single use , of very few use only, can work with any other metal using correct anti seize.

Ti: Lighter weight; durable enough to install and remove many times, can work with any other metal using correct anti seize.

SS: standard weight, durable enough to install and remove many times, can work with any other metal using correct anti seize. Will still look good after many years

I used stainless steel on the side covers with aluminium buttons (red)

From Pro-Bolt, helps keep the mud/dirt out of the hex head and bling too,,,

DSC_0601.jpg