1st GEN Alum frame CR250 (97-99)

Well I know many of you are not a fan of this year range CR, but I'm in love with this 1998 cr250 and looking for any thoughts on "helping" my suspension compensate for the stiff frame. We just got done with a full rebuild/resto of the motor/exhaust/plastics etc. and in the spring I want to replace/repack ALL bearings in the bike...

After that I want to "upgrade" my forks and rear shocks any way possible to get this bike like butter. Even with the old shock that needs rebuilt and O.K. shape forks, the bike rides great, but it's really all I've ever known. I have ridden buddies crf450 and crf250, but not interested in the 4t's in the least even though I was a way better rider on them :smirk:

Just looking for the proven things to do with the suspension on these to help out. This bike makes you work for it, but when you're right there with the 4t guys on this bike, it's very rewarding. I like the challenge and the entire experience of riding 2t, so any help would be awesome!

I've heard to actually stiffen up the suspension on these bikes with a stiff frame and it actually softens things up, but was wanting to find out a little more into detail!

Here she is after the motor and cosmetic rebuild/restore. This bike is SO sound now mechanically. Thanks for your time and any suggestions!

IMAG0580.jpg

Griffin

Those bikes are some of the most punishing vehicles ever mass produced, Honda took the experience of motocross from a level of being down right fun and in just one year turned the experience into one of pure torture with the introductions of those machines.

The engine should be pulled and a new home found for it where it can be appreciated ( a ridable tunable chassis ) and the chassis itself should be donated to the medieval Smithsonian museum where it should be displayed wedged comfortably between the rack and the guillotine and labeled as best devices to inflict insidious pain.:smirk:

All kidding aside I could not own one but if you must put 2004 or later Showas on the front and play around with wheel offset to help front make better contact and steer descent.

Edited by Realslow
  • Like 1

Those bikes are some of the most punishing vehicles ever mass produced, Honda took the experience of motocross from a level of being down right fun and in just one year turned the experience into one of pure torture with the introductions of those machines.

The engine should be pulled and a new home found for it where it can be appreciated ( a ridable tunable chassis ) and the chassis itself should be donated to the midevil Smithsonian museum where it should be displayed comfortably wedged between the rack and the guillotine and labeled as best devices to inflict insidious pain.:smirk:

All kidding aside I could not own one but if you must put 2004 or later Showas on the front and play around with wheel offset to help front make better contact and steer descent.

I don't understand? It's like it got 1 bad wrap because it was stiff compared to steel frames, and set like wild fire? I don't feel like it's overly harsh or hard to steer at all. My bike is much harder to ride than my buddies crf's, but I like that. Their bikes are easier to go around a track on (no respect) but mine is just a ton more fun. I have yet to experience the horrible tracking or harsh feeling while jumping, but then again, this is mostly all I've ever known.

I'm going to replace all the bearings in it in the spring, but I'd like to send the forks and shock off to be re-done. Any recommendations on who or where?

Don''t get me wrong you have a nice motorcycle, everybody has switched to aluminum because it is cheaper than chromoly.I prefer steel over aluminum for ride comfort. The new aluminum frames are much better but still stiff.Take a 1999-2004 yz 250 and update that then you have a great bike.

RM 250 forks from 1996 - 1998 would give that bike a flex point that it really needs. Bikes are much easier to tune when the frame flexes a little. It is a big difference.

I don't understand? It's like it got 1 bad wrap because it was stiff compared to steel frames, and set like wild fire? I don't feel like it's overly harsh or hard to steer at all. My bike is much harder to ride than my buddies crf's, but I like that. Their bikes are easier to go around a track on (no respect) but mine is just a ton more fun. I have yet to experience the horrible tracking or harsh feeling while jumping, but then again, this is mostly all I've ever known.

I'm going to replace all the bearings in it in the spring, but I'd like to send the forks and shock off to be re-done. Any recommendations on who or where?

The 2002 and newer Showa forks are alot better, put the right springs in them and go from there.Find a local tuner that is good. The bike has a great motor,that motor in a 2002 n up CR 250 frame is the bomb.

Oh man I already know my motor is the sh!t. We literally JUST finished the top end (Wiseco Pro Lite), Boyesen Dual Stage Power Reeds, Silencer packing, all new gaskets and O-rings throughout the top end/intake/and exhaust. This thing SCREAMMMMMZUHH and we haven't even set the suspension yet, but it has a nice straight trajectory as you may see in my build thread a pic of me jumping.

I may look into some 02 and newer? Forks, or might just consult a suspension company about her and see what they can do.

I also plan on installing:

-Magura hydraulic clutch

-Oversized aluminum radiator

-Air striker Carb

Very soon.

My opinion is do not stick alot of money in it,

I have had all kinds of freinds who have fiddled with that bike to no end and I begged them to be careful because it is a mounstrouse killer, it will plant you in the ground quick. Have you ever seen the movie Christine? it's about like that.

If you race that machine make sure you have a great life insurance policy and it would help to carry a 911 I've fallen and can't get up beeper to notify the trama center ahead of time.

Wear medieval body armor for extra protection and if you want to try and win you should arm yourself with sword and mace because you will need to play dirty in order to move up.

If you put a tag on it and ride it on the street you might have better luck!:smirk:

Edited by Realslow

My opinion is do not stick alot of money in it,

I have had all kinds of freinds who have fiddled with that bike to no end and I begged them to be careful because it is a mounstrouse killer, it will plant you in the ground quick.

If you race that machine make sure you have a great life insurance policy and it would help to carry a 911 I've fallen and can't get up beeper to notify the trama center ahead of time.

Wear medieval body armor for extra protection and if you want to try and win you should arm yourself with sword and mace because you will need to play dirty in order to move up.

If you put a tag on it and ride it on the street you might have better luck!:smirk:

I lol'd :lol: But you see, I used to own this bike 4 years ago. I sold it in necessity for rent payment off at college. The years go by and I came back across it as a matter of fate, and was able to get it back. Lesson learned. Wouldn't trade it for 12' crf450 or any bike for that matter. I'll be taking this bike to the limits of the outer region :lol: but I do not race. Yes we ride track and trails for fun though, and this bike is just too much fun to ride.

Was this bike known to be a widow maker or was that all part of the kidding? :bonk:

They are actually good bikes but way to stiff and have been known to plant asses with a bad hop on ocassion.

• Like 1

Yea I don't doubt that. I just really don't mind the stiffness. I rode my buddies wr250 4t not long ago and was just plain amazed at how easy this kid has it. Especially when we go woods riding, since he won't step foot on a track (weird). However, I don't want nor respect a bike like that. I like it to be a violent and rough screaming nightmare, like riding a gorilla/cheetah combo lol, but that's just me...It's rewarding to be right there with the 450 guys on a 13 year old screamer.

When I got it back it was very powerful, but now that everything's new, it's really just beyond explanation.

Since I've made new friends I've switched from a mainly trail rider, to the track, and the bike feels like it belongs much more but I am not competitively trying to race. I'm 25 got a career that isn't racing that I gotta be healthy for, so I'm not out there riding over my head. Sure I step up to challenges with jumping and what not but not riding like an idiot.

once you get rid of the pre 2002 showas it will be as good and plush as just about anything elseKIF_1491.jpg your bike looks kinda familiar

Edited by osobad

The engine should be pulled and a new home found for it where it can be appreciated ( a ridable tunable chassis ) and the chassis itself should be donated to the medieval Smithsonian museum where it should be displayed wedged comfortably between the rack and the guillotine and labeled as best devices to inflict insidious pain.:smirk:

This is seriously the best post ive seen in months. lol

OSOBAD,

Holy shat, way too familiar! Even down to your shroud decals hahaha except I put the smaller CR decals under my honda. I'm guessing you ordered the same One Ind. decal kit I did. Where did you get those fork guards? Awesome bike man.

So wait, any 02 and up showa forks will work on my bike? I've heard just getting everything re valved will work, but interested in the newer forks for sure!

Also what year is that bike? Your side panels look different with the black spot? Is that updated plastic or just a black decal in the air box area? Love the bike. Also, did you buy a black tank or do it yourself? I'm going to make my tank black along with radiator plastic guard/scoops. I've heard dying it is the best way.

OSOBAD,

Holy shat, way too familiar! Even down to your shroud decals hahaha except I put the smaller CR decals under my honda. I'm guessing you ordered the same One Ind. decal kit I did. Where did you get those fork guards? Awesome bike man.

So wait, any 02 and up showa forks will work on my bike? I've heard just getting everything re valved will work, but interested in the newer forks for sure!

Also what year is that bike? Your side panels look different with the black spot? Is that updated plastic or just a black decal in the air box area? Love the bike. Also, did you buy a black tank or do it yourself? I'm going to make my tank black along with radiator plastic guard/scoops. I've heard dying it is the best way.

thats a 2nd gen 00-01. the black spot is the airbox, where the side shrouds slip into.

The black on the shrouds,fender and airbox I made from wrap that is made to look like carbon fiber. The front fork guards and tank Painted black with fusion plastic paint,can't tell it is not factory. Any showa 47 mm front fork wiil work. In 02 they went with larger internal piston. If you get latter than 04 ,Ithink you will have to get new caliper if you can't find the hanger. You will aslo need axle and spacer, wheel is same. Just have them revalved. 02 and latter are much beeter forks to work with. Mine is an 01 but we have done the same with gen 1 frame with great results. then gen3 frames are easier to dial in than gen 2 and gen 1 but it can be done. in my opinion the pre 02 motors were better. Some poeple my not agree. I had a guy ride my bike this weekend and said it was one of the best mx converted woods bikes he has ridden(he has ridden many). He also could not believe how well the suspension worked especialy for older cr.

The black on the shrouds,fender and airbox I made from wrap that is made to look like carbon fiber. The front fork guards and tank Painted black with fusion plastic paint,can't tell it is not factory. Any showa 47 mm front fork wiil work. In 02 they went with larger internal piston. If you get latter than 04 ,Ithink you will have to get new caliper if you can't find the hanger. You will aslo need axle and spacer, wheel is same. Just have them revalved. 02 and latter are much beeter forks to work with. Mine is an 01 but we have done the same with gen 1 frame with great results. then gen3 frames are easier to dial in than gen 2 and gen 1 but it can be done. in my opinion the pre 02 motors were better. Some poeple my not agree. I had a guy ride my bike this weekend and said it was one of the best mx converted woods bikes he has ridden(he has ridden many). He also could not believe how well the suspension worked especialy for older cr.

That is awesome man. Really glad I created a thread for once. Can you send me a link to this plastic paint? Would you definitely recommend it over dye? What was the process you used to paint the tank?

Looks like I'll be adding forks to my short list of big mods for this summer. This bike is going to insane.

the fusion is made by krylon. most auto part stores have it. you could probably find it at home depot or lowes also. not hard to find at all. I use fine wet dry sand paper going cross pattern not circular to smooth surface. there is also bumber primer you can use to help the paint stick, but the krylon is made to stick to plastic. Has worked great so far. as far as getting your forks better, yea you can but will never get it as good as with the latter showa forks. the early aluminum frames really benefit from them in my opinion.

Awesome man. Did you do any follow up wet sanding after you sprayed it? Honestly I've heard about the paint for plastic but everyone says sure enough after a year or so it flakes, and also painting it doesn't work because the tank needs to vent or something?..So that's why I just put it out of my mind. How long has yours been done? I'll def go this route though if yours has held up a while. It looks great. I honestly just figured you had bought the aftermarket black clarke tank!

You are good (white) I am bad (black). This bike has been trying to kill me for years. I just did a bottom and top end. It is tearing my arms off now.

I thought it was just me that had the problem of this bike hammering me into the dirt. Great thread :smirk:

cr.png

Really nice bike man! The only turn off for me is the tank, but I'm VERY partial to the black blacks too! :smirk: