Sign in to follow this  

Opinions on Piston

Just wanted to get a few people's opinion on my piston. This is a Wiseco pro-lite after 80 hrs. pretty hard MX. Bike is a 1999 kx250 and was running fine, I just replaced the piston because I figured 80 hrs. was starting to push my luck.

Does it tell you anything?

1e6e3.jpg

1aa10.jpg

b12ca.jpg

80 hrs on hard mx,you were really pushing your luck.I guess your putting a wiseco back in there.

^ yes, fresh wiseco piston and rings and fresh cometic gaskets are now installed and she's running like a champ! I just wanted to see if anyone had any insight into what my old piston is "telling" me, if anything, about my running conditions.

did you he 80hrs on the rings also, Im at 70hrs on piston and 30hrs on rings, will be changing at 80 as well. Piston looks fine maybe a little rich, no wear marks that I saw.

From the pics, I see jetting that's pretty close, rings that are worn out, no signs of detonation or dirt ingestion, very shiny skirts indicating the piston is done, and pretty reasonable blow-by for the hours and worn rings.

did you he 80hrs on the rings also, Im at 70hrs on piston and 30hrs on rings, will be changing at 80 as well. Piston looks fine maybe a little rich, no wear marks that I saw.

yes, 80 hrs. on piston and rings (i always replace them both at the same time). thanks for your insight, better to be on the rich side rather than lean :smirk:

From the pics, I see jetting that's pretty close, rings that are worn out, no signs of detonation or dirt ingestion, very shiny skirts indicating the piston is done, and pretty reasonable blow-by for the hours and worn rings.

THIS is what i was looking for, thank you!! :bonk::lol: how are you able to tell that the rings are worn?

yes, 80 hrs. on piston and rings (i always replace them both at the same time). thanks for your insight, better to be on the rich side rather than lean :smirk:

THIS is what i was looking for, thank you!! :bonk::lol: how are you able to tell that the rings are worn?

The edges look sharp. If you look at new rings, they are beveled.

how are you able to tell that the rings are worn?

My guess would be the blow-by.

The edges look sharp. If you look at new rings, they are beveled.

ah, i c. thanks

My guess would be the blow-by.

blow-by could be one indicator, but blow-by could also be blamed on a worn cylinder from what i understand. i was asking how he could tell from looking at the rings alone, not by proxy of something else.

In the third picture, that piston has no rings, am I right?

I can't see how you can tell that the rings have sharp edges in the first two pictures.

In the third picture, that piston has no rings, am I right?

I can't see how you can tell that the rings have sharp edges in the first two pictures.

In forty years of riding I've seen a lot of rings.

I also know how to zoom...:smirk: