Sign in to follow this  

Air filter

I was wondering what you guys use on your Kawi. I used to run twin air on my crf. I was looking at no toil because they are on sale. Anyone used no toil before?

Stock filter does the best job filtering.

I've recently bought a No-Toil I've cleaned several times and has held up well, but are you saying I should buy the OEM one again? I noticed it is a bit more expensive, but if it truly is a better filter, I'm all for it.

OEM like $30

No Toil around $13...

hmmm

So OEM any better? Hmm I wish someone would do an in depth comparison of each brand!

I read where people said they lost performance with the no toil filter. Did you?

I read where people said they lost performance with the no toil filter. Did you?

I used to own my bike 4 years ago and just bought it back...It literally sat the whole time and when I got it back, it still had the stock filter with MY freaking filter oil on it along with the plug, chain, tires, you get the idea. I IMMEDIATELY installed the no-toil, so I have no point of reference here. Going back to stock when I have the spare $ not that I've had any complaints about the no-toil but it's a cheap filter and the OEM is twice as much, so the OEM has to be at least equal if not better is my thinking.

I can´t feel any performance difference when switching between No Toil filters and the stock filter (with no toil oil on it).

Only thing is... that the stock filter falls apart after some time when using No Toil oil, the old red stuff is what I still have left. Don´t know about the new fluid.

How did you come to this conclusion?

By observing.

In order of best filtering quality, IMHO:

-Stock

-Uni

-No Toil / Moose Racing

-Twin Air

Twin air can be considered a 'performance' filter, as it surely passes more air when clean or dirty. Just hold it up to the light and you'll see.

Since I run my filters for about 15 hours/240 miles (3 rides) , I want better filtering than I do performance.

Plus, when I look at the inside of my Twin air filters, they were dirty on the inside as much as on the outside. Not good.

By observing.

In order of best filtering quality, IMHO:

-Stock

-Uni

-No Toil / Moose Racing

-Twin Air

Twin air can be considered a 'performance' filter, as it surely passes more air when clean or dirty. Just hold it up to the light and you'll see.

Since I run my filters for about 15 hours/240 miles (3 rides) , I want better filtering than I do performance.

Plus, when I look at the inside of my Twin air filters, they were dirty on the inside as much as on the outside. Not good.

What is your oiling process? If I were to ever find dirt on the inside of my filter that would be last time that engine is ran until a complete rebuild is done. I consider my motorcycle as life support gear, I will not ride it if it is knowingly compromised. With that said, I have four bikes in service now, my son and I ride/race at a high level. I use all four brands mentioned in the filter rotation and have not noticed a performance difference or filtration difference and have never seen dirt on the inside of any of the filters.

At an extremely dusty MX race last summer a friend of mine was changing his filter in between motos and noticed dust in the intake boot. I warned him not to ride it, but it did make it through the next moto. Needless to say I checked mine after I saw his and it was not leaking dirt. I blamed his on not enough oil. The next day we were practicing and in the first 15 minuets the big end bearing gave up. Sure it could be coincidence, but not in my eyes. I still say too much oil is better than not enough.

Agreed, ive been running a twin air for awhile now. I clean the filter every other ride with a very good amount of oil. If its even semi dusty I run a pre filter.

What is your oiling process? If I were to ever find dirt on the inside of my filter that would be last time that engine is ran until a complete rebuild is done. I consider my motorcycle as life support gear, I will not ride it if it is knowingly compromised. With that said, I have four bikes in service now, my son and I ride/race at a high level. I use all four brands mentioned in the filter rotation and have not noticed a performance difference or filtration difference and have never seen dirt on the inside of any of the filters.

At an extremely dusty MX race last summer a friend of mine was changing his filter in between motos and noticed dust in the intake boot. I warned him not to ride it, but it did make it through the next moto. Needless to say I checked mine after I saw his and it was not leaking dirt. I blamed his on not enough oil. The next day we were practicing and in the first 15 minuets the big end bearing gave up. Sure it could be coincidence, but not in my eyes. I still say too much oil is better than not enough.

I think I was exaggerating the level of dirt on the innerside of the twinair. It's just more noticeably dirty, to me, than the stock filter. I run No Toil cleaner and filter, and soak the filter then squeeze it dry.

I think I was exaggerating the level of dirt on the innerside of the twinair. It's just more noticeably dirty, to me, than the stock filter. I run No Toil cleaner and filter, and soak the filter then squeeze it dry.

Yes but what about oil?

I used to ride and since then I've greatly changed my beliefs about oil filters. I make sure it is completely saturated in filter oil and squeeze out any excess. I let it sit for a while in the sun, if possible, and then I get paper towels and squeeze out any excessive oil until I have a nice even coating. I have been using the K&N spray air filter oil, but recently discovered KLOTZ has spray air filter oil, so I picked some up. About to go put some on it tonight, the motor was just rebuilt friday night. Klotz is basically the best oil ever, so their filter oil has to be great as well.

I didnt like the KLOTZ filter oil. Its not real sticky. Its also more like oil. If you let it sit for a little while, it will drip off the filter.