Sign in to follow this  

Fouling plugs.....

Hey guys, so my bike didn't start awhile ago. The plug was fouled. So I cleaned the carb and changed the plug. I switched the fuel ratio from 32:1 to 50:1 to see if I still fouled the plug. The bike started first kick, but had idling issues. I left it sit for one day, and the next day tried to kick it. I checked my plug, and it was wet and had oil on it....so I cleaned it off quickly, poured a bit of gas in my cylinder and heated up my plug with a lighter, put it back in and it started right up again. It still doesn't idle and I can't see how I fouled the plug with such a lean mixture. Any help would be great. The carb is literally clean as a whistle with almost no gunk in it when I started cleaning it. I'm at a loss at what to do, and can't afford to buy plugs alllll the time. The bike is jetted for 32:1 but plugs were fouled so I made it leaner, yet they still foul. :smirk:

Change your fuel ratio back to 32:1 immediately. People constantly diagnose a jetting problem as a pre mix ratio problem, because they don't want to learn about jetting or want to pretend it's okay.

Sounds like you're too rich on 1 or more jets, you need to check your service manual to see where you need to be and then physically see what you have in your carb and make changes to leaner jet(s). Richer = more fuel/oil and Leaner = less fuel/oil. Also hard starting definitely is caused by worn reeds. I had a crack in one of mine we found while rebuilding my top end over the weekend. Replaced with boyesen dual stage pro reeds ($40) and new reed block gasket, and now it starts first kick cold everytime. So, clean carb, check jetting, and def check your reeds.

Your premix ratio should always stay at 32:1

Change your fuel ratio back to 32:1 immediately. People constantly diagnose a jetting problem as a pre mix ratio problem, because they don't want to learn about jetting or want to pretend it's okay.

Your premix ratio should always stay at 32:1

:smirk:

+1

in actuality you running rich with a mixture of 50:1, using a good synthetic oil I run all my bikes anywhere from 36:1 to 40:1. Considering the bike is starting first kick, your pilot jet is fine. What has changed since your last ride? How about the temp outside? When was the last time you cleaned your air filter? Bikes naturally just don't have a problem after sitting so something has changed outside of the bike.

Ok guys, thanks for the tips. No changes in the weather or to the outside of the bike in the last few months, no loss of tranny fluid either. And I have good compression. So I will put my fuel ratio back, re-jet the carb and check my reeds. Can I check the reeds without taking my engine right off the bike? Also what role do they play in the starting and running of the bike. I'm sorry if it seems I don't deserve a 2 stroke. But my previous bike was a 1995 Yamaha RT 100 and I never had to do anything to it :smirk:

PS Choppertown.....your input is not appreciated and useless, therefore, you are not appreciated and useless as well, congratulations :bonk:

you can check the reeds by pulled the carb out and then taking the reed cage off the motor. Look for any chips, cracks and make sure they are sitting flat against the cage with no gaps. Normally reeds will cause a hard start condition but it sounds like you are fine with starting. If the reeds are lifting a little a trick you can try is just flip them upside down and check to see if the condition changes. If so then get new reeds.

When was the last time the bike actually ran? Might just need to do a full carb clean and clean every jet and crevice along with the air filter...