Sign in to follow this  

Difference between R and X ?

I just got an R for a fair price. I wish it had more bottom end so it would be more trail friendly. Is there something cheap I can do to the bike to transform it?

Or would it possibly be better to sell it and get an X? I'm assuming the X is set up for trail riding?

Whats the difference in the 2 bikes? Thanks

Camshaft is different, offering much more low-end. It might be possible to put the X cam into your R as most X riders want more power so the put the R cam into their X, I can only assume vice-versa is possible. I assume you have a non-EFI CRF, otherwise skip this as the cam surely won't swap.

All that little stuff is nice but what I'm most interested in is the bottom end. I like how on my KLX300 I can just stand up and putt around. I haven't even taken my 250 to the trails yet and I've already stalled it 2 times. It seems like it only wants to be ridden fast - understandable since it's a race bike.

Does the cam let you putt around on the trails, or would I be better off looking for a totally different bike?

What all is involved in swapping cams? Thanks

I think that you may like the stock X cam along with the stock X headpipe, this will allow you to putt and have good bottom end throttle response. As long as your R is a 04-05 the headpipe is a direct swap, the cam will swap with an R from 04-09.

All that little stuff is nice but what I'm most interested in is the bottom end. I like how on my KLX300 I can just stand up and putt around. I haven't even taken my 250 to the trails yet and I've already stalled it 2 times. It seems like it only wants to be ridden fast - understandable since it's a race bike.

Does the cam let you putt around on the trails, or would I be better off looking for a totally different bike?

What all is involved in swapping cams? Thanks

Get a flywheel weight and stalling would be much harder.

Heavier flywheel will help and swapping out your gearing will help a lot too. Go down 1 tooth in front or up 2 or 3 on back:thumbsup:

If you put a aftermarket exhaust on your bike it will ad plenty of low end. I have a white bros e2 and my bike is more responsive than my wrist can twist the throddle.

I think I have heard some place that the X have lower compression, ore is this totally wrong?

CRF 250R / CRF 250X

Both have 249cc liquid-cooled single-cylinder four-stroke

Bore And Stroke

76.8mm x 53.8mm / 78mm x 52.2mm

Induction

Programmed Fuel Injection (PGM-FI), 46mm throttle body / Keihin® 37mm flat-slide carburetor with Throttle Position Sensor (TPS)

Ignition

Full transistor with electronic advance / CD with electronic advance and lighting coil

Compression Ratio

13.2:1 / 12.9:1

Valve Train Unicam®, four-valve; 30.5mm intake, titanium; 25mm exhaust, steel Unicam®, four-valve; 31mm intake valve, 26mm exhaust valve

DRIVE TRAIN

Transmission

Close-ratio five-speed / Wide-ratio five-speed

Final Drive

#520 Chain; 13T/49T / #520 T-ring-sealed chain; 13T/49T

CHASSIS / SUSPENSION / BRAKES

Front Suspension

48mm inverted Showa cartridge fork with 16-position rebound and 16-position compression damping adjustability; 12.2 inches travel / 47mm inverted Showa® cartridge fork with 16-position rebound- and 16-position compression-damping adjustability; 12.4-inches travel

Rear Suspension

Pro-Link® Showa single shock with spring preload, 17-position rebound damping adjustability, and compression-damping adjustment separated into low-speed (13 positions) and high-speed (3.5 turns); 12.3 inches travel / Pro-Link® Showa single shock with spring-preload, 17-position rebound-damping adjustability, and compression damping adjustment separated into low-speed (13 positions) and high-speed (3.5 turns); 12.4 inches travel

Front Brake

Single 240mm disc with twin-piston caliper / Single 240mm disc with twin-piston caliper

Rear Brake

Single 240mm disc / Single 240mm disc

Front Tire

Dunlop MX51 80/100-21 / 80/100-21

Rear Tire

Dunlop MX51 100/90-19 / 100/100-18

Rake

27° 23' (Caster Angle) / 27.54° (Caster Angle)

Trail

118mm (4.6 inches) / 118mm (4.7 inches)

Wheelbase

58.6 inches / 58.3 inches

Seat Height

37.4 inches / 37.7 inches

Curb Weight

229 pounds (Includes all standard equipment, required fluids and a full tank of fuel-ready to ride) / 253 pounds (includes all standard equipment, required fluids and a full tank of fuel-ready to ride)

Fuel Capacity

1.5 gallons / 1.9 gallons

Ground Clearance

12.7 inches / 13.6 inches

The 49T rear sprocket is probably your biggest stalling problem. 51T rear is stock for your bike. Go with a 12T front also, works great for tight trails.....