Sign in to follow this  

2002 ktm 400 exc motor rebuild:good idea or not?

i bought a 2002 ktm 400 exc in 2010. The last owner told me it had 15 hours on it and the only thing it needed was a carb cleaning. But it really needed that and a new battery, new regulator reflector, and stator. I had to relace the spokes. It has a z start rekluse clutch but not the rekluse clutch cover and i find alot of metal in the oil screens and magnet. The motor is kinda loud, i am not sure if its because the balls in the rekluse clutch or if it natural ktm noise. the bike starts up like a champ and runs great. how much to do a full rebuild and where to send it to? Is a full rebuild even worth it at this stage? I do regular oil changes, i run Repsol 10W-50 fully synthetic. I maintain the air filter. I only use Shell 93 gasoline. just for the record i am 23 just starting to learn about bikes i put up a video of her on youtube the link is below this any advice will be highly appreciated. thanks, kenny m.

I have an 04 with almost 25,000 miles now. I replaced the valves with stainless, cam chain twice, 453 bore job, new clutch plates and that's basically it.

I can't imagine your bike needs rebuilding unless you've done something seriously wrong with it.

The RFS is an inherantly noisy motor. If you pull in the clutch and the noise diminishes, it's normal.

On the right (sitting on the bike) side of the motor, if you remove the cover, you will see a large silver aluminum nut. That can come loose and create noise. It's an easy check but remember it's LEFT HAND THREAD.

It does sound a bit noisy, but I'm not there to hear it in person either.

I'd check the valve clearance if I were you, just to be sure.

I have the same exact bike. Same handguards too, not that I'm really a fan of them. They don't do anything to deflect small trees.

Here's mine.

xW7gW.jpg

@akarob i see you only have the plastic peace wheres the metal bar going to the handle bar ? this is mine on a good day :smirk: