Sign in to follow this  

Rear tire DR 650

Whatup DR nation? Lookin for advice on new rubber for an 07 650. Do a little of everything, asphalt, gravel, single track...Dunlop D606? Does the rear tread size matter if stock is 120/90 17 and Dunlop offers 130/90's? Thanks, y'all from a newbie...

I use the Kenda K270. A little better offroad than the stock Trailwing, good mileage, decent road manners.

I like the stock tires myself, find they work well on everything.

I've run the 606 and the Mt21. Both great. But if you want any performance on the street, they both suck. Knobbies just suck on the twisties... some are better than others, but they'll never be as good as a dualsport tire. I'm usually more concerned with of road performance, so I like the knobbies, but even the DOT versions are not great on asphalt.

I'm actually going to pull the trigger on a Mefo Explorer 130/80-17 this week. I read alot about it, supposed to be a great 50/50 tire and last for 7,000+ miles... but they're $150 a pop for a rear.

No such thing as a "do it all tire", like a dualsport you have to compromise. The best tip is to buy a good tire gauge and get the best pressures for whatever tire you get off road. I did some impressive stuff on the stock Trail Wing at 13psi F and B.

I've had great luck with the Shinko 705s. They last about 6K rear and I'm still on the first front that I installed almost 11K miles ago. These things are not very expensive and they work great on dry or wet pavement, fine on gravel, sand and rocks. Where they suck is mud. Not much self cleaning action unless you use a knobby. With the Shinkos you can get through most anything but you can't ride the bike like a dirt tracker or you will surley wash out under the weight of the pig.

I have an extra set of rims with D606s that although are used a lot less the rear is worn down to a nub. These are what I use when I plan to ride at an OHV area or some other place with mud holes, narrow steep ascents or descents.

I also am trying Shinko, gave 100 dollars for the pair. Had been using Dunlop 606's. So far so good. I think 606's would be a better off road tire, but for how I am riding the Big DR these will work fine.:smirk:

I love my shinko 700 on my drz 9ed0988b.jpg

I was looking at the shinko 700 for front and rear. Ebay has them for $188 shipped. Is that a decent price? What did you give for the single?

I went with Heidenau K60 Scout in stock size for the front and 130/80-17 rear. So far a good road-tire (could not experience weaker performance than from my Pirelli MT60s that I used to shove around in the company of supermotos) and is way better offroad. For sure its got limitations when compared to full knobbies, but I just keep away from the clay-pit ...

I was looking at the shinko 700 for front and rear. Ebay has them for $188 shipped. Is that a decent price? What did you give for the single?

about 100 bucks. Buts its been a while. Check out motorcycle superstore

5.10 -17 rear is $57.99

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/2/29/393/15048/ITEM/Shinko-700-Series-Dual-Sport-Rear-Tire.aspx?WT.ac=SLIsearch

3.00 - 21 front is $43.99

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/2/29/393/14647/ITEM/Shinko-700-Series-Dual-Sport-Front-Tire.aspx?WT.ac=SLIsearch

Shipping is free since its over 90 bucks. Total is 101.98 delivered for both sneakers....

i picked up the rear from the local cycle gear,*had to order it* But i can't remember the price. I took it on a couple dual sport rides, and got it stuck in a nice creek bottom, but it handled nicely. Only problem was i usually ran a true knobby on the front so it was a little sketchy. Over all i liked the tire, it would be less than worthless in deep sand if you lost momentum, but other than that it was more than i could have wished for especially for the price.

If I remember right, I paid no more than 115 dollars for the pair at my local bike shop.:smirk:

5.10 -17 rear is $57.99

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/2/29/393/15048/ITEM/Shinko-700-Series-Dual-Sport-Rear-Tire.aspx?WT.ac=SLIsearch

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/2/29/393/14647/ITEM/Shinko-700-Series-Dual-Sport-Front-Tire.aspx?WT.ac=SLIsearch

Shipping is free since its over 90 bucks. Total is 101.98 delivered for both sneakers....

Thanks for the links. Much cheaper than ebay. Are positive on the sizes? I'm not near my bike but think I may just go ahead and give them a try at that price.

5.10 -17 rear is $57.99

i like the look of those tires but the 5.10 says tubless. you can still run them with a tube i am assuming?

Yes, they put tubeless on them for insurance. They used to say not to run a "tubeless" tire with a tube because it would build up heat from the tube rubbing on the inside of the tire. I've always just ran them with no problems. I would bet there has never been a recorded problem running them with a tube.

No issues........ I have literally over 20K miles on tubless tires with tubes.

Those are the size I use on my DR650. They only offer the 3.00 front for the 21 and the next smaller rear for the 17 is I think the 4.60 (too small).

I've been running the Metzler T63's on my bike, They are pretty aggressive, and do okay in mud, not great, but okay. I've not had any problems with them hanging the curves where I live. They Don't walk with me and actually stick to the rode better than any street tire I've ever had on my street bikes. I get 4500 miles out of the rear, and twice that on the front, give or take a few miles. They really handle well in the rain on pavement. I hate to admit it but most of my riding is on pavement, and I know there are tires out there that would give me more miles, but my passion is riding dirt, and hill climbing, so I hate to give up that traction by going to more of a road tire. Of course I don't hill climb like I did 30 years ago, and my DR650 is a little too heavy for serious climbing. Sure would like to have the motor on a smaller and lighter framed bike.