Sign in to follow this  

fmf 4 stroke muffler packing, red vs white packing, tight vs loose

i just repacked my stock yz250f silencer, i picked up some fmf 4 stroke performance packing which was all loose long red/pink fibers, i chose this over the roll type white stuff cause i felt like trying something new, was kinda hard to install cause you just grab the glob of this stuff and just kinda wrap it around the core and tape it there and very carefully put the core in the canister with out it bunching up. i used all of it lol so it was kind of snug, but what do you guys prefer and use, any one try both kinds, i was hoping this stuff was more quiet. also so you be putting this stuff in kind of firm, really tight, or really loose. and why is this red stuff considered performance.

Tight will last longer and be louder, loose will blow out faster but be quieter and usually have better sound.

i just repacked my stock yz250f silencer, i picked up some fmf 4 stroke performance packing which was all loose long red/pink fibers, i chose this over the roll type white stuff cause i felt like trying something new, was kinda hard to install cause you just grab the glob of this stuff and just kinda wrap it around the core and tape it there and very carefully put the core in the canister with out it bunching up. i used all of it lol so it was kind of snug, but what do you guys prefer and use, any one try both kinds, i was hoping this stuff was more quiet. also so you be putting this stuff in kind of firm, really tight, or really loose. and why is this red stuff considered performance.

Anyone try red vs. white? and is there really a performance decrease from packing too tight?