Sign in to follow this  

little oil tube from oil pump to clutch cover

XR650L- That little oil tube from oil pump to clutch cover, is there supposed to be a o-ring on the oil pump side and on the cover? (If so mine doesn't have one in the pump). My shop manual seems to show one on the oil pump side, but the OEM parts fiche, doesn't seem to show one. Part# 17 and 23. .

http://www.mositesmotorsports.com/fiche_section_detail.asp?section=191806&category=MOTORCYCLES&make=HONDA&year=1997&fveh=4327

the inner or outer one?

there is one behind the oil pump and the other little tube/dowel is between the clutch cover and the pump dowel.

Cant remember right now but the outer dowel for sure has an oil seal that really needs to be there for there to be no leaks.

I just cat remeber if the inner dowel has an oil seal or not but I do remember that the pump is flush against the case and pretty well sealed at that point.

cheers

the inner or outer one?

there is one behind the oil pump and the other little tube/dowel is between the clutch cover and the pump dowel.

Cant remember right now but the outer dowel for sure has an oil seal that really needs to be there for there to be no leaks.

I just cat remeber if the inner dowel has an oil seal or not but I do remember that the pump is flush against the case and pretty well sealed at that point.

cheers

yea, there is one that stayed on the clutch cover, that one is there(makes you wonder why that little tube is needed). But my shop manual shows one going into the oil pump with the pipe. I didn't take off the pump, so I'm not talking about that inner oil pipe.

hey bud!

You should definitely have both 17 and 23 in your pump/cover...

the oil tube/orifice dowel thingie is there to control oil flow amount(in fact some racers and beleiver think its better to swtitch these around(the dowel behind the pump to where this one is)

You need both the dowel and the oil seal to ensure you dont lose or leak any oil.

sometimes(at least on my rebuilds) when I take the clutch cover off, more often than not the dowel and oil ring stay stuck to the cover cause if stiction...and you might lose it when transferring the cover...

hope this helps if not forget I said anything, jajaja!

also: on the OIL PIPE the curved pipe that goes into the pump it has a cylinder type connection with an oil ring around it to make sure it seals correctly...

I ordered another o-ring for the clutch cover. I guess that there isn't supposed to be one on the pump side. That little aluminum oil tube, looks like a dowl, fits very loosely in the pump, you would think honda would have made it a tighter fit on the pump side, just so it doesn't fall out while installing the cover. Just got 5 inches of snow here, so riding seasons over for awhile.

hey,

when you put the oil ring onto the dowel it tightens up the fit, the dowel on my cover it isnt necessarely loose but Im thinking when the temp gets up and the oil gets hot that little dowel will expand and seal up the hole, plus the oil ring and your good to go.

cheers!

edit: just maybe check your inner dowel, maybe you have them reversed? is this the first time the pump has been taken out? you might have switched them and they are slightly different...I know for sure the inner diameter is different on the dowels, dont know which goes where(bigger/smaller) but check this too