Sign in to follow this  

Starting problems

i have a 2008 crf250r that i have been using as a trail and track bike. after about 6 months since i bought it i was preparing for a hare scramble and tried kicking it. after 10 minutes of kicking i got nowhere so i thought it was probably the cold weather. the day of the hare scramble i tried kicking the bike over to let it warm up and it would not start. we quickly replaced the spark plug and after a while got the bike to fire. a few weeks after the race we checked the valves and the right intake valve was extremely tight. after adjusting the valve to the correct clearance i tried starting it again. after kicking for about 10 minutes the bike started. took a few kicks to start when it was warm also, which has never been a problem. what else could possibly be the problem?

When you say the right intake valve was tight, was it zero'd out to where you couldn't get a feeler gauge under it? Chances are, the valve is shot and is not sealing either which is making i next to impossible to start. Since it is getting colder, you could also have a lean condtion. Going up 1 size on your pilot jet can help starting issues when it's cold.

The intake valves are shot. You need to replace them and have the valve seats cut. Until that's done, you wont' be able to figure anything else out with hard starting, but that's probably 90% of your problem.