Grrr stripped tank inserts

I have a 2001 KX. Had the same problem. My fix is probably not the best or the safest but it did work. I cut the plastic around the stripped bolt so that I could remove the shroud in a manner that would allow me to reuse it with a washer on the bolt. I removed the tank poured out all the fuel and filled it completely with water ( didnt want any chance of fire or explosion) The insert in my tank was basically a nut sunk into the plastic. I cut a small nail into a couple pieces that I could heat up and push into the plastic on opposite sides of the nut. I cannot stress enough the danger involved in this process. Before trying this you need to make sure you consider your safety first.

I have a 2001 KX. Had the same problem. My fix is probably not the best or the safest but it did work. I cut the plastic around the stripped bolt so that I could remove the shroud in a manner that would allow me to reuse it with a washer on the bolt. I removed the tank poured out all the fuel and filled it completely with water ( didnt want any chance of fire or explosion) The insert in my tank was basically a nut sunk into the plastic. I cut a small nail into a couple pieces that I could heat up and push into the plastic on opposite sides of the nut. I cannot stress enough the danger involved in this process. Before trying this you need to make sure you consider your safety first.

Once the shrouds are off, you can use pliers to hold the insert and unscrew it from the fastener. The insert can be epoxied back into the tank...just be sure not to get epoxy in the threads of the insert.

BEST SOLUTION FOR STRIPPED TANK INSERTS:

First, you do not have to cut any plastics, and I found this a long time ago on here.

Tools needed, a drill with bit that fits your shroud bolt, JBweld or other epoxy.

First, use the drill with the bit to spin the shroud bolt and the tank insert so it heats the plastic up which allows it (stripped tank insert), the shroud and bolt to come off the tank. You will see that the insert is a square piece and now your tank has a round spot where the square insert spun and slipped. Once out, you can use pliers or wrench to hold the insert and remove the screw and shroud. Clean the round sopt on the tank and insert the square insert. Use JB or whatever will hold and fill the areas around the insert, allow to sit and dry and then you are ready to remount the shroud.

Works great and I have done it many times on bikes I have bought, haven't had any that I have "fixed" have any problems.

Jim

• Like 1

BEST SOLUTION FOR STRIPPED TANK INSERTS:

First, you do not have to cut any plastics, and I found this a long time ago on here.

Tools needed, a drill with bit that fits your shroud bolt, JBweld or other epoxy.

First, use the drill with the bit to spin the shroud bolt and the tank insert so it heats the plastic up which allows it (stripped tank insert), the shroud and bolt to come off the tank. You will see that the insert is a square piece and now your tank has a round spot where the square insert spun and slipped. Once out, you can use pliers or wrench to hold the insert and remove the screw and shroud. Clean the round sopt on the tank and insert the square insert. Use JB or whatever will hold and fill the areas around the insert, allow to sit and dry and then you are ready to remount the shroud.

Works great and I have done it many times on bikes I have bought, haven't had any that I have "fixed" have any problems.

Jim

I did exactly the above procedure and it worked like a charm on a 2006 YZ250F. The only thing I would add that helped me was to remove the tank once the insert is out. The JB Weld will tend to run down the side of the tank unless you remove the tank and lay it flat on its side while gluing the insert back in place.