Walker Valley?

I'm interested in making the trip to Walker Valley with my bike. How do other trail riders compare or rate that area, to Tahuya or Capital Forest? I live in Tacoma and ride Tahuya 1-3 times a week all winter, Capitol in the summer.

I have odd days off from work, so the majority of my rides are solo efforts. I would appreciate some feedback, as I have never offroaded(vehicles or bikes)

north of I-90.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm interested in making the trip to Walker Valley with my bike. How do other trail riders compare or rate that area, to Tahuya or Capital Forest? I live in Tacoma and ride Tahuya 1-3 times a week all winter, Capitol in the summer.

I have odd days off from work, so the majority of my rides are solo efforts. I would appreciate some feedback, as I have never offroaded(vehicles or bikes)

north of I-90.

walker is fun,will be some good size puddles if you dont like them.The nice thing about walker and going solo is it's not that big so if you happen to break down you can get out a little easier then some,at least thats what i tell myself when i'm solo.

walker is fun,will be some good size puddles if you dont like them.The nice thing about walker and going solo is it's not that big so if you happen to break down you can get out a little easier then some,at least thats what i tell myself when i'm solo.

Puddles won't be a problem. I think Tahuya farms them for everyone else...

I'm curious about the area. It's about same drive time as Gifford Pinchot, and I'm definitely going back when the snow gives.

I wouldn't advise that long drive in the winter for Walker. Just my $.02

Bummer. I like seeing new-to-me areas. Maybe this summer. I actually had a real 3 day weekend over New Years. Rode Tahuya Sat. & Sun. The weather was awesome! Thanks for the input!

north of I-90.

Bowhunter I'm at Walker almost every weekend, send me a pm if you want to hook up for a ride

I can't get out during the week, gotta work sometime ?

Man, some of you guys are as fun as a wet sack of hammers.

The guy has never been to Walker.

Dude, meet up with someone from here or ADV rider and ride Walker at least once this winter.

Don't discount Walker because someone said not to go.

I hear the same about Tahuya.

I ride Walker almost every weekend I can, it's a great place to ride.

can ya get above the upper rock pit? If not, Walker is only good for about 30miles, and much of that isn't singletrack anymore. In the spring theres another 10-15 miles of better stuff available. I'm just trying to help him understand what he's getting for 8hrs on the road.

Tahuya has over 100 miles of singletrack if ya know where to look.

Man, some of you guys are as fun as a wet sack of hammers.

The guy has never been to Walker.

Dude, meet up with someone from here or ADV rider and ride Walker at least once this winter.

Don't discount Walker because someone said not to go.

I hear the same about Tahuya.

I ride Walker almost every weekend I can, it's a great place to ride.

"I've never been one to leave my toys at home, because noone else wants to play"

I agree,a great place to check out. I ride walker rain or shine..mostly rain..haha every chance i get. Only 30 min away for me, so me and my son ride the easy trails, hes only 10. However there are alot of technical trails and alot of up hill trails...I am there solo alot as well. Lots of water when it rains..bring a change of clothes and food water!!

can ya get above the upper rock pit? If not, Walker is only good for about 30miles, and much of that isn't singletrack anymore. In the spring theres another 10-15 miles of better stuff available. I'm just trying to help him understand what he's getting for 8hrs on the road.

Tahuya has over 100 miles of singletrack if ya know where to look.

Same can be said for Walker ?

I agree,a great place to check out. I ride walker rain or shine..mostly rain..haha every chance i get. Only 30 min away for me, so me and my son ride the easy trails, hes only 10. However there are alot of technical trails and alot of up hill trails...I am there solo alot as well. Lots of water when it rains..bring a change of clothes and food water!!

I'll travel any reasonable distance, at least once. Reasonble: 100 mi. or less

I'm a regular at Tahuya...many, many, mannnny hrs. I almost won't ride the

2-way trails anymore, unless I'm in a hurry, 'cause it'll be dark soon. I love single track! Technical is good. I've always been fan of true 'bike handling'.

At best, my skills are poor, but I'm always willing to give it a go.

Walker is strewn all over a big hillside...the higher ya go up, you'll hit unpassable snow. I've only been there once this year due to my protest of the D-Pass, but by the time I reached the upper rock pit the trails were well covered. Except for a few exceptions, the lower stuff is a lot of quad track. I covered every inch of trail in about 2hrs...even the secret 'gnar'. If ya go with one of the locals, there's some technical stuff on the down low, but you won't find it by yourself.

I'm still ticked about funky town. ?