Sign in to follow this  

Cylinder works or JE?

Also another question, If i just bought the JE 94mm piston, I can just have my original cylinder bore'd are replated correct? im currently on a tight budget, trying to do this somewhat cheap, but also reliable. thanks in advance for any input!

hey guys, im about to order a 440kit for my 2002 400s. Im trying to decided on a cylinder works or a JE. anyone have some feedback on both of these? thanks!

Ive used the M/T 436 kit for years now , ive replaced the JE piston twice in 25000 miles due to skirt wear. The cylinder is still in spec and come up a treat with a ball hone :smirk:

Also another question, If i just bought the JE 94mm piston, I can just have my original cylinder bore'd are replated correct? im currently on a tight budget, trying to do this somewhat cheap, but also reliable. thanks in advance for any input!

its more expensive to do that way than to just buy a cylinder works kit.

Just buy a Cylinder works kit , JE makes pistons , some JE 440 kit on ebay is a Namura Cylinder with a JE piston .

I would prefer a kit with a piston and cylinder which are matched from the factory and not from a seller .

The first C.W kits in '09 had a Wiseco piston , these days they come with a Vertex piston .

Ive used the M/T 436 kit for years now , ive replaced the JE piston twice in 25000 miles due to skirt wear. The cylinder is still in spec and come up a treat with a ball hone :smirk:

so do you recommend the JE piston? It seems to me 25000 miles is not very long for a piston to last, unless you ride mostly off road or race.

he has used 2 pistons in 25000 miles

i replace them WELL before that

I don't understand. Why? Do you tear your motor down to check them? Is it because it's a more performance oriented piston? I would think most DRZ stock pistons would last 25,000 miles. Are you hard on your bike? Or do you replace it because it's relatively cheap compared to BOOM?

The guy that owns cyl works, pivot works ect is my supervisors neighbor. He (my supervisor) told me a while back that the owner fired all of the local guys that built the parts here in town. They were all local racers and good family type guys and riding was a way of life. He now gets everything from china/taiwan. I wont buy squat from the guy and he is just across town. Just my 2 cents

The guy that owns cyl works, pivot works ect is my supervisors neighbor. He (my supervisor) told me a while back that the owner fired all of the local guys that built the parts here in town. They were all local racers and good family type guys and riding was a way of life. He now gets everything from china/taiwan. I wont buy squat from the guy and he is just across town. Just my 2 cents

That's quite a statement to make about a company based on something someone told you.

I don't understand. Why? Do you tear your motor down to check them? Is it because it's a more performance oriented piston? I would think most DRZ stock pistons would last 25,000 miles. Are you hard on your bike? Or do you replace it because it's relatively cheap compared to BOOM?

i prefer to over service ... its my way .

i like a responsive motor , one that runs strong . the bonus is reliabilty and performance .

i also enjoy doing the work , always learning and improving

So how long "should" a JE piston work in a CW BB?

Recived mine from Eddie just before xmas but its yet to make its way to the bike.

So how long "should" a JE piston work in a CW BB?

Recived mine from Eddie just before xmas but its yet to make its way to the bike.

It will last forever if you don't install it...:smirk:

Seriously, It really depends on a few variables such as how hard you rev it, type of use(road/off road) oil change intervals, type of oil used ....etc

I work on around the 15k mark for piston replacements for big bore and 10K for stroker pistons....

That's quite a statement to make about a company based on something someone told you.

I have no reason to doubt what I was told. Prove me wrong and I will gladly eat crow.