Sign in to follow this  

Husky "puke"

If anyone here has ever laid their bike on it's right side, you might know what I'm talking about. The breather hose that comes off the top right side of the head cover and goes to the airbox allowing oil to dump into the airbox then "puke" out all over your swing arm. This is the only bike that I've owned that has done this to this degree. Is there something that can be done to fix this?? Maybe like turn the hose up and re-route it closer to the center of the engine or something. Every other bike Ive seen has the breather in the center of the cover so as to not puke oil like the Husky....***!

The hose in on a union that rotates so yes you could simply route it up and over, it may require a longer hose. You could also avoid crashing.

I've tried the not crashing thing.....not working out too well. I wonder if that was Husky's thinking when they designed that hose location.... just don't crash??

Any spill to the right will send oil into the breather hose regardless of where the hose is routed. The oil pump EXIT in the head is right where the breather is. Kill the engine as soon as possible to minimize the amount of oil that is pumped out of the engine.

Edited by OlderHuskyRider

Any spill to the right will send oil into the breather hose regardless of where the hose is routed. The oil pump EXIT in the head is right where the breather is. Kill the engine as soon as possible to minimize the amount of oil that is pumped out of the engine.

Wow!.....that's awsome. I was thinking about re-routing the hose from the right to the left and back over the frame to the airbox.... has anyone here tried something like that?

Wow!.....that's awsome. I was thinking about re-routing the hose from the right to the left and back over the frame to the airbox.... has anyone here tried something like that?

You must fall ALOT to the right side, moving the breather sounds like a lot of work to me.

I don't park my car on steep hills very often, but when I do there shouldn't be any oil running out of the air box! Anyone that say's they don't tip their bike over from time to time is lying or a casual sunday rider. A dirtbike laying on it's side once in a while is normal .... even the pro's crash! I just think that Husky could have done a much better job of accounting for that condition. It's just irritating to me more than it is a real problem. As a customer I shouldn't have to finish engineering the bike to account for normal trail situations.

Hi pal. My buddys 2011 husky 310 does the same when he falls (which he does a lot) on one occasion spent doing extreme sections all day,in which the bike had been upside down a lot , on the following day he dropped the oil to measure how much he had lost and found he had lost 300ml !!. Its a good bike that"s spoiled by some small detail design faults ,ie the two part tank panel ,he has ripped the bottom part off several times and also has had a hell of a lot of warranty work done,to much to list and not what you would expect from a company that is backed by bmw. Good job for him we get a 2 year warranty in the uk. Do i take it that the states only get a 6 month warranty ?. that makes a change if so.

Hi pal. My buddys 2011 husky 310 does the same when he falls (which he does a lot) on one occasion spent doing extreme sections all day,in which the bike had been upside down a lot , on the following day he dropped the oil to measure how much he had lost and found he had lost 300ml !!. Its a good bike that"s spoiled by some small detail design faults ,ie the two part tank panel ,he has ripped the bottom part off several times and also has had a hell of a lot of warranty work done,to much to list and not what you would expect from a company that is backed by bmw. Good job for him we get a 2 year warranty in the uk. Do i take it that the states only get a 6 month warranty ?. that makes a change if so.

This story reminds me of my buddys KTM that boiled over most of his coolant in the slow going and seized the motor up tight. Pity he had no warranty or ez cheap fix to help him out.

I'm going to try re-routing that hose this week.....it certainly can't hurt. i"m tired of those Honda guys talking trash about my ride. I hope it works. I think I've got the biggest problem with the bike sorted out....the susension. Chris Gall at SSTsuspention.com has got the forkes working great!

Hey Shag try to have a look at what Honda has done with the CRF breather hose. It routes up, then has a "T" fitting before the airboot, with a hose dropping straight down from the "T", with a removeable plug at the bottom. Most oil goes down the drop hose by gravity, instead of into the airbox, where the plug can be removed and the oil drained. I even catch the oil in a clean aeresol cap, and pour it back in the motor! I would source the "T" through Honda, as it is a bit different, but any large-diameter T would be better than nothing.:smirk:

Just don't tell the Honda guys what you've done! They can be an anoyying lot of fellas!!!!

If you route it to th air box it could end up turning your bike into a smoke machine or dumping oil on top of your motor.... I just bought a TE 511 and appreciate knowing this..... My old berg would throw oil really bad into the air box/frame style filter box especially when the top side of bike was pointing down hill it ended up with oil in the carb and would smoke really bad for a good while..

Hey Shag try to have a look at what Honda has done with the CRF breather hose. It routes up, then has a "T" fitting before the airboot, with a hose dropping straight down from the "T", with a removeable plug at the bottom. Most oil goes down the drop hose by gravity, instead of into the airbox, where the plug can be removed and the oil drained. I even catch the oil in a clean aeresol cap, and pour it back in the motor! I would source the "T" through Honda, as it is a bit different, but any large-diameter T would be better than nothing.:smirk:

Just don't tell the Honda guys what you've done! They can be an anoyying lot of fellas!!!!

The "Tee" makes sense...I'll give it a whirl while I'm re-routing. Thanks!