Sign in to follow this  

Best front and rear tire for TTR50E

Looking for some better tires - only had the bike a week for my son, and already we're looking at 12" front tires, and regardless if we can't go with a 12" up front - we definitely want wider/more agressive rears.

Shit... he's got the rebuilt/souped up DRZ110 he'll be grown into in six months or less, I sure don't want to spend much on this TTR50, but they sell these with pretty crappy tires.

Ordered Michelin Starcross today... 2.5-10 for front and 2.75-10 for rear... We'll see how it handles for him and let you know.

I posted reply to this in the old forums with pics... just wanted to follow up on the Michelin Starcross tires on the TTR50. After three visits to the track, and several hours of riding around in field near our house - particularly yesterday when it was a bit muddy - the new tires outperformed way above an beyond my wildest expectations. They have also held up much better than expected - I had read reviews that they would wear quickly, but they still have the tittys on them... Of course, experience my son has gained has probably helped the most in regards to handeling - the new Michelin Starcross (2.75 in the rear, 2.5 in front - with new tubes) made a HUGE improvement in the tires ability to clean out both mud on the track, the clay in the field behind our house, they helped in the sand, and he has not gone down in a corner since adding them. Yes, he has gone down a couple times while we are trying to teach him to shift - but that's not tires fault. They also just look better - giving the bike more of a dirt-bike appearance with the aggressive tire than the "toy bike" the stock tires gave.

6681216463_ecd04a8122.jpg

IMAG0734 by qartman, on Flickr

In regards to the shifting - we've been trying to get him doing it, but twice he wiped out just trying too hard to shift and lost focus on keeping the bike upright, and once he hit is foot in the ground and dumped it. Tweaking the shifter height up and down, and trying a longer shifter - i think we're closer to success with the longer shifter set perfectly level with the pegs. Since he pretty much stays in 2nd gear, and 1st is a bit too tall anyways, I ordered a 35T rear sprocket to see if that will get him more intersted in starting in 1st and shifting to 2nd... we'll see. And - yes -

On that note - he took the DRZ110 for a spin yesterday (it is an automatic with manual clutch kit) and did really well - sitting on a stand he can shift it (without the clutch) with no issue at all. The DRZ is still too heavy and a bit too tall of a bike for him to pick up if he lays it down, plus he has a tough time kick starting it - but I think we are done spending anymore money on the TTR50 since he'll outgrow it by summer for sure.

I posted reply to this in the old forums with pics... just wanted to follow up on the Michelin Starcross tires on the TTR50. After three visits to the track, and several hours of riding around in field near our house - particularly yesterday when it was a bit muddy - the new tires outperformed way above an beyond my wildest expectations. They have also held up much better than expected - I had read reviews that they would wear quickly, but they still have the tittys on them... Of course, experience my son has gained has probably helped the most in regards to handeling - the new Michelin Starcross (2.75 in the rear, 2.5 in front - with new tubes) made a HUGE improvement in the tires ability to clean out both mud on the track, the clay in the field behind our house, they helped in the sand, and he has not gone down in a corner since adding them. Yes, he has gone down a couple times while we are trying to teach him to shift - but that's not tires fault. They also just look better - giving the bike more of a dirt-bike appearance with the aggressive tire than the "toy bike" the stock tires gave.

6681216463_ecd04a8122.jpg

IMAG0734 by qartman, on Flickr

In regards to the shifting - we've been trying to get him doing it, but twice he wiped out just trying too hard to shift and lost focus on keeping the bike upright, and once he hit is foot in the ground and dumped it. Tweaking the shifter height up and down, and trying a longer shifter - i think we're closer to success with the longer shifter set perfectly level with the pegs. Since he pretty much stays in 2nd gear, and 1st is a bit too tall anyways, I ordered a 35T rear sprocket to see if that will get him more intersted in starting in 1st and shifting to 2nd... we'll see. And - yes -

On that note - he took the DRZ110 for a spin yesterday (it is an automatic with manual clutch kit) and did really well - sitting on a stand he can shift it (without the clutch) with no issue at all. The DRZ is still too heavy and a bit too tall of a bike for him to pick up if he lays it down, plus he has a tough time kick starting it - but I think we are done spending anymore money on the TTR50 since he'll outgrow it by summer for sure.

I got the gytr shift pedal and foot pegs for my sons ttr 50 its a bit longer,and it fold, much resistant either

Please let me know how does it goes with the 35T sproket, in case you fell the bike is a little small for your son, I did get the tall seat from bbr for 50 bucks, it make a huge diference with the stock and it can hold my son for one more year hopefully