Sign in to follow this  

two strokes oil fuel

Hi,

What would happen if one forgets to add oil to a 2 stroke, like KDX, and go riding in the trails? How far would you get before the engine quits?

What tricks do you use to remind you to add oil? This is my first 2 stroke, so I'm not used to having to add oil.

It will mix with what you have in the tank and run really lean and then proceed to blow up... Seen it happen

Get a gas can just for your premix and mark it as such. Pour your oil in before you fill it with gas every time. Some oils are dyed to help you know they are mixed in with the fuel.

I've always wondered how far a bike would get if there was no oil in the gas but I have no idea.

I use white fuel jugs so I can visually tell if the gas has been mixed. Plus I almost always put the oil in the can first and then go fill it up.

It will mix with what you have in the tank and run really lean and then proceed to blow up... Seen it happen

Blew uo my 125 & 250 the same day like that. :smirk:

Use duct tape and a sharpie to mark your "mixed" fuel can.

My 2 stroke fuel can is almost never completely empty, so when I fill at the pump, I pump a whole gallon amount, then add oil based on the amount of gas added.

i did this with my 49cc 2stroke moped when i was 15... it seized within 5 minutes. as for remembering to add oil, i use a white gas can and the oil stains the gas red so i would be able to tell if it wasn't the right coloring.

Well I can tell you how long a 2 stroke chop saw will run without oil in th gas.I saw a guy do this at work the other day. The saw ran like a bat outta hell, for about 45 seeconds. Then it locked up tighter than crap.

apparently a pocket bike will last all day and some on at least 1 year old nasty old fuel with no oil, but i just never forget to mix the oil for my bike, its just there in my head everytime i fill up the can ever since the first 2 stroke dirtbike i had its just been stuck in my head

for some reason you are way more intuitive with your bike when it is extremely important to mix the gas. just make sure you have a special gas can set aside and use it just for premix.

I'm still thinking of what to do. One time, I was distracted while fueling my lawner. I ended pouring mixed weed eater fuel into my lawn mower. Another time, I put 87 octane into my XR200 which require 92. I was also distracted; a guy walked up to me and started chatting about the dirtbike. It just seems strangers like to start chatting just when you're about to pour gas.

Do I need to shake the gas can? I mean, does the oil settle to the bottom of the can after sitting for a long time?

An XR will probably run on just about anything you put in it. Same with your lawn mower. I always put any old 32:1 mix in my lawn mower, whenever I feel it is time for fresh gas for the bike. Yes, shake the can. Always a good, just in case, habit.

I keep seperate cans. One for the leaf blower, trimmer, dirt bike all sized according to how much fuel I use. 5 gallon for the bikes, 1 gallon for others. Wrote on the can in black sharpie what it goes in, and what ratio it is mixed. I have five different two stroke engines that all require a different mix. It is hard to forget to add oil if you are putting it in a can that says 32:1 and in my case kx 125. If you write on the can there is no label to fall off ,eventually it becomes second nature.

like others have said. get a dedicated opaque ( white semi see thru) can solely for your bike. I like to write directly on the can with a sharpie that I NEED to add oil. I fill the can with the amount I feel I will use for the day in 1 gal increments( 1, 2, 3 etc) Now when I get home or to my riding spot I add the appropriate amount of oil. After adding oil I erase that I need to add oil. I used redline for years and it is well RED and is very easy to tell when you've mixed it. Maxima however is the same color as gas and its hard to tell. Whatever I dont use gets used by my lawnmower. It loves to run on 40-1 Maxima. If the mower is full I will put it in my car if it has a half tank or more.

Hi,

What would happen if one forgets to add oil to a 2 stroke, like KDX, and go riding in the trails? How far would you get before the engine quits?

take one jalapeno, cut off tip, insert in sphincter, now you know how your engine will feel.:smirk:

As for knowing, alot of the guys have the right way. Add oil to can BEFORE adding gas. Plus it mixes as you fill.

Depending on gas you use, color doesn't always tell. I run VP110 and it's purple, my oil is red. So in the end, it's purplish-red.

Or, you can be smart and own nothing but 2 strokes.:bonk:

Use a label-maker to make a label reading premix only and stick it on your gas tank

That works, kinda like on my brother in law's bike, it has a sticker that reads "Turn the gas on, dummy" (A wr250f, different scenario, but same reminder...)